Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

26 yrs old considering surgery

missladii12mmissladii12 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Scoliosis
I am 26 yrs old and have been reconsidering getting the surgery. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was about nine. I went from wearing the lift in my shoe to the brace. By age 12 the curve kept growing and I was told the surgery was the only thing that would help. But around the time I was planning to have the surgery an aunt of mine almost died due to a medicine mistake during a simple surgery she was having. So being only 12 years old, I got scared and turned down my surgery. Now at age 26, I still have problems with the spine have not seen the doctor since I was a teenager. But when I was a teenager my back had already curved beyond 90 degrees and had started to rotate. Now, every day 24/7 I have the stiffness of my back…just completely uncomfortable feeling all day every day. I lose lost of sleep from tossing and turning at night. Constantly got declined for disability…So recently got a job that I thought would not be affected by my back, but once again the pain has started back…the typical pins and needles feeling and cramping where it feels like my muscles pulls and I can’t move until the pulling is over.

So I’m now in consideration of the surgery. I know that bc of my age it may not be able to completely fix the curve but I was wondering do any of you think I should take the risk on the surgery? Especially since I have 3 small children and my youngest is 7 months old? Would recovery be a fast recovery or would I be left unable to care for my children? And also, is any of you with or previously with scoliosis have experience any of the symptoms I previous described? Is this normal?

• Hey MissLadii. I've had 2 surgeries for scoliosis last Dec 2009. Considering how I only had 7 months of slight relief, then it went all downhill for the past year. It's the point where I feel handicapped. I have a hard time walking, I can't stand/sit/bend/drive/etc. without having a severe, deep pain in my spine. I can't run or stretch anymore, if I do, I'll have 10/10 pain and be forced to lay down on a bed. I am looking around, and it seems I'll need a 3rd surgery now. At the age of 21, I feel like I'm useless and I'm depressed by how empty my life is and there is nothing I can do to fix it. I don't have a choice but to try to fix what my first surgeon messed up.

So what I'm trying to say is, try to stay away from surgery as much as you can. It's very very rare to hear a completely successful scoliosis surgery. Even if people get recovery for a few years to 10-15 years, 90% of them end up needing revisional surgeries for problems down the road. I've had a tough recovery, and I'm not close to being done. I do wish I thought more about having surgery rather than jumping in. Wasted a few good years of my life.
  • Hi Missladi, I am 24 and had a fusion on my T4-L4 back in Feb. so I am a little over 6 mos post op now. Granted my back from the way it sounds was not as bad as yours but I had a 51 curve, 24, and 18. It was getting so bad where I had problems going up and down the stairs in my house, picking up my 14lb dog. I did physical therapy, which hurt me more than anything. I felt at my age and the rate in which the level of comfort was decreasing, my only option was to have the fusion. So I went through with it, I feel like I had a really great surgeon. I am still in alot of pain from the surgery and in hopes that in time it will go away. I get very stiff and I am still on meds to treat the pain. But my spine is now corrected to one 18 degree curve. Just know, that everyones situations are very different. I honestly couldnt imagine going through all of this with small children who depend on me (I have none). Unless you have a strong support system of people who can help, I would wait. I would also consult surgeons who specialize in scoliosis and other spine deformities, and I would suggest getting 3rd or perhaps even 4th opinions before having the surgery. I hope that everything will work out for you and will keep you in my prayers!
This discussion has been closed.