Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 days out

ltstamplltstamp Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Well, I was thinking the surgery was all for naught. My leg and arm weakness, pain and numbness had returned and I could barely walk on Sunday. Lucky for me I have this site so I could read back on other people's experiences.
Now I realize that it could just be the swelling and there even may be some permanent nerve damage (which I can deal with).
Today is such a better day. I decided to take my dog for a walk even though it is soooo hot outside. It was lovely and I am making a commitment to walk him every day like before the surgery. he is a service dog (German shepard) and very well behaved so no issues with him pulling or causing any problems. I also find that he brings me such a nice feeling of calm. There I am walking this huge dog (85 pounds and only 6 months old) and he is completely under my control. I was all worried and then I thought I will just drop the lead if I have to.
So back to feeling on top of the world and that I am going to get better I just have to give it time (which is not my strongest suit).

• There is no way to tell how much it has helped 6 days out of surgery. Some people wake up and all their pain is gone... a lot of people wake up and they still have pain, but it goes away over time. My doc told me that I had quite a bit of nerve damage and it will take time for the nerves to heal and the muscles to re align. So just relax, take your meds, and get well!! :). I am glad you can go on a walk with your dog! My dog is a crazy person and I probably would have to go back into surgery if I went on a walk with her! Good luck and keep us updated!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Well it is really my son's dog but he just never spent any time with him so I have my grand dog. I took him for all his obedience training. He actually has his good canine and he is almost finished service dog training.
    I found when I was not feeling well it really helped because I hate walking but because you really have to walk him it was fun.

I look at your age and cringe. I cannot imagine feeling like this at that age. I am 46 and was always in top form until I had an accident and since then have been going slowly downhill. But to be 24 and to have the neck and shoulder pain for so long. Wow. Mine started with that as well and then moved into my legs being numb, burning and weak.