Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Strengthening Exercises with SCS

gsp4meggsp4me Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Looking to start exercising again - now that I'm 6 weeks post-op for the SCS. I know certain stretching exercises are out now (or the leads could move/get damaged) -- what do others do for exercise that works with the SCS, without causing problems/damage??? I saw several exercises posted on the spine-health site, but am unsure if they are appropriate to do when you have an SCS implant.

As always, thanks for any help you can provide :-)

• This is what I do, except I do my own version with my own horse. The information is from the Therapeutic Equestrian Center's website. Of course there's the risk of falling and the issue of impact on the spine. I weighed the risks versus the benefits to me after seeing my niece with cerebral palsy go into this and decided it is worth it. I am so grateful I have!

Therapeutic horseback riding offers a unique way to develop flexibility, balance & coordination, and muscle strength. Nowhere else but at centers like TEC can specially abled riders find a team approach to learning how to make the most of their abilities. The rider, the horse, the volunteers and the instructor all contribute to the experience. The physical therapy aspect of riding is well known- riding is a perfect way to develop balance and coordination, core strength and muscle tone. Further, the interaction between horse and rider is a very personal one, yet is utterly non-judgemental. The horse responds to the rider in a unique way, building the rider's confidence, self-esteem, communication skills and social skills. Therapeutic horseback riding benefits the rider:

Physically: the horse's movement has a dynamic effect on the rider's body

Sensorially: the horse and riding environment offers a wide variety of sensory input to the participants

Emotionally: overcoming fear and anxiety and the ability to achieve riding skills help riders increase self-esteem

Cognitively: the horse provides a strong motivator for riders. Riding sessions incorporate activities and games on horseback designed to help each rider achieve specific goals.

Socially: the riding program and associated activities provide an excellent opportunity for participants to interact with their peers, program volunteers and with the staff in a positive and enjoyable environment.
  • I WISH I had my own horse !!!!! I used to love riding - but there's nowhere nearby that would be cost effective for doing this on a regular basis. I'm in a touristy-type area, so any of the stables that offer riding are pretty pricey for everyday or even several times a week use :-(
  • If you can tolerate it, walking is one of the best things you can do. I walk my neighborhood when it's not broiling in summer or ice-covered in winter. If you can't walk far (I can't), then walking short distances several times a day is good.

Lying on my back with my legs bent, I swing them from side to side as far as possible, slowly & steadily. My IPG is in my back...if it were in my buttock I'm not sure I'd do it. Also lying on my back, with my heels on an exercise ball, I roll it toward my body, then away. I have several others. Your PM doc may be able to refer you to a PT that is familiar with appropriate exercises. My PM doc has a PT in his office, very convenient.

At only 6 weeks out, whatever you do, take it easy.