Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

UPDATE- Looking for support

Calico1983CCalico1983 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello there! I was on this site a few years ago and now I have returned for some fellowship in the back pain arena. I feel there isn't a real connection when I'm trying to tell people what I am experiencing and I know its because they have no clue what I'm talking about. I felt the need to come back here to get back a "community" feeling and for some help with the issues I'm facing.

Here's a little about me. I'm a 28 year old female and have had back pain for about 17 years. Yes, if you do the math, that would have made me 11. Its true. It wasn't until I was 17, 6 years later, that a doctor finally ordered an MRI. They were astonished as to what they found. 3 severe disc herniations at L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1. No one could believe it had gone so long undetected or that I had survived 6 brutal years without any treatment or medications.

Now, I have another herniation at T12-L1 but that one doesn't bother me...its all th lower herniations. I have had 5 MRI's, 2 discograms, 6 epidural steroid injections, countless cortizone injections, many hours of physical therapy and too much Percocet for any one's life time along with muscle relaxors and anti inflamatories. I have seen orthopedic surgeons and neuro surgeons. Some were honest and said they wouldn't touch my mess of a back for any amount of money, while others are trying to be more optimistic. I'm getting the sense that nothing is really going to help. I have heard from many soucres that people with 3 level fusions are not happy folks and I don't want to be one of them. A micro decompression seems to be the current term of choice for the doctors. Another issue is that I have sciatica pain to the right and a numb foot on the left. (It seems that I blew the disc out, a double herniation, once to the right and once to the left) Basically, I was told to pick which was worse and to focus on that. So, the 4 herniations, the nerve pain and the numbness are just the tip of it all. Stenosis, radiculapothy, and lots more of those fun terms are peppered throughout my back history. Its exhausting.

I feel pretty helpless at the moment. I'm never going to be "fixed" and I know that. I do understand this could be a million times worse but I feel depressed nonetheless. I go to my doctor Wednesday to hear the surgery verdict. I'm tired of a life of pain and not being able to do the things that I enjoy as much as I would like. I'm hoping being here will help some of the loneliness and despression ease off. Thanks for listening!

** Update - My surgeon is sending me to Georgetown University Hospital in DC for another opinion. We found via MRI today that my L4-5 disc has completely collapsed. The discs above and below this disc are bad but not collapsed. He feels my options are few at this point, if there is one at all. Feeling very miserable at the moment :-/

• Welcome,actually welcome back to spine-health. Glad that you have rejoined. You are right, people here understand what we are going through, and are there for each other.

You are dealing with a lot. It is good that you have gotten multiple opinions, and have tried conservative approaches.

Are the surgeons saying that they cannot address both parts of the double herniation? Does it sound like they are going to recommend a three level discectomy/decompression or have some offered fusion?

We are here for you, and will be thinking of you on Wednesday. Please let us know how you make out.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012