Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Congenital fusion of cervical vertebra

carolliaccarollia Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My sister went today to the doctor because of serious neck pain, they took x-rays and diagnosed her with congenital fusion of the cervical vertebra. She is only 30! I've been reading the posts in this forum and it seems that symptoms usually start later in life not at her age. She has always been so active but I remember now that she has been suffering from occassional headaches, and back pain. She is a vet and works more than 8 hours per day. On Monday she will have a MRI (or MRT I'm not really sure, she lives in Peru).I'd really appreciate if you could share your experience with me, these are a few questions I have:
Having this condition means that her daily life is going to be affected? she won't be able to work or exercise anymore? will she have to attend therapy for the rest of her life? will she have to take medications for the rest of her life? will she be able to have a baby? what are the chances of needing surgery? is surgery safe? is it safe in Peru? Thanks in advance, I'm really glad I found this forum

• I don't know exactly what congenital fusion means. Were your sister's vertebrae fused from birth? I have had surgery to fuse three vertebrae and now have arthritis which is causing fusion of vertebrae above and below it. I don't know the answers to your questions for your sister's case but I can tell you what it is like for me living with fusion in my neck.
    I have limited range of motion in my neck and pain with too much moving of my head. However, movement and exercise is very important to keep the range of motion I do have and reduce pain. I would imagine that would be the same for your sister. I have been in much physical therapy and do a set of exercises every day which help me. Because of a car accident I am now getting more therapy. I also take anti-inflammatory medication for arthritis in other parts of my body as well as the neck pain. People with fusions do work, have children, etc. Again, I don't know your sister's specific situation. An MRI will tell whether her spinal cord or nerves are affected. That is important to know. That's about all I can tell you. I wish your sister the best.