Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post ACDF and PT

Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm now 5 months post-op and have been on a home program for physical therapy. Lots of up and downs since I started PT about a month and a half ago.

One of the weakest muscles in my back is in the shoulder blade area. It seems as if I can't help but injure it and the worst part is I'm not sure what I did to cause so much pain! :''( My physical therapist says that I might have pulled the muscle under the shoulder blade. She is going to examine me on Wednesday but said that the muscles take months before they are back to full function. On top of having to recover from ACDF, I've now developed symptoms from my 2 herniated discs in my lumbar. ~X(

Anyone out there with a similar story or would be interested to share your experience with PT and how long it took before the muscular pain dissipated and normal function was restored. Thanks!
2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches

• Hello!

Sorry to see you're in so much pain, especially the new pain in lumbar. I did have an ACDF in 2007, and there was pain in between the shoulder blades for awhile, and was told it would be there are a spell as the muscles rebound, but it does seem 5 months is quite awhile. I suppose all surgeons do things differently, as mine does not require PT, but wants his patients to walk often to keep active.

Just don't overdo.......kepp you feel better soon!

• Charlie, thanks for your reply! Just thought I'd to give you a little background about my recovery. At 2 and a half months post-op and was almost pain-free from surgery and nerve pain and I tried to force a jammed window open. My entire left side of my back tingled and I believe I pulled the muscles on that side. Went to see my NS and he said the x-rays looked fine and that I was fused based on flexion and extension views. NS said that I must have did something to my muscles. A couple of weeks later my lower back started to burn. Started PT for upper back and for the most part has helped.

Overdoing it has been very hard to gauge. Yesterday I was doing aqua aerobics with my PT in the same class and then I ended up hurting myself. I didn't feel the pain until 7 hours after the class. She said that it didn't seem the upper body exercises with a resistant ball could have caused the pain and I did nothing else that could have aggravated it. I walk a lot as well and have been doing some swimming, too.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches