Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery from discectomy

WohlmanWWohlman Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone.

I feel a little silly and self conscious , like I often do when I walk into a crowded room at a cocktail party...

This is my first posting.

I have really found this forum to be so helpful in preparing for my surgery. So thanks to you all.

Short story, I finally decided to have the operation after managing my back conservatively for more than 15 years. I am 41 years old, am very active and fit. What a long road it has been getting to this point.

I'm really in the early stages of recovery from an L5 Discectomy. Day four post op. I had no idea how painful and uncomfortable this would be. Please tell me this gets easier sooner than later. Despite adequate pain meds, I'm just very sore and achy.

My question is:
At what point is it advisable to use heat packs or a hot pad post surgery?
advertisement

Comments

• I hate walking into a crowded room at a party too. I'm not sure about the heat packs - a quick call to your doctor's office might tell you, or if they gave you a bunch of literature before the surgery or in the hospital that you didn't read all of it, maybe it will say in there (I'm guilty).

My husband had a discectomy over 21 years ago at the same level. I know that because he was suffering from a herniated disc when I was in labor for my first daughter and I felt sorry for him! I even drove home from the hospital. He had his discectomy a couple weeks later. I think the procedure was pretty new back then. He was given physical therapy afterward (have you - for later in your recovery)? Anyway, he does his exercises still sometimes (not as often as he should). If his back starts to hurt he will do his exercises faithfully for quite a while. He has not had any surgery since.

I hope it is as successful for you.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi Everyone: I am new with this and really do not know the Med. term for this Surgery I will be having it in a couple of weeks. In Apr. of this year I had a Lamenectomy L4 and L5, now the cage is necessary as no pain has been relieved.
    My questions are long, but will try to shorten them at first. I live in an apt. with 14 steps at the front door, will this be not good? Also, my concern is the distance from the hospital after surgery, I have nearly 90 miles to go, will this be possible?
    Thank You all
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please contact your doctor with any questions such as this.., any questions at all... especially after surgery!!! good luck on a healthy and rapid recovery..stop by anytime! Jenny :)