Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Pain med Suggestions - Actiq to ?

willddwwilldd Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some good solid advice about pain meds. I've been suffering from chronic upper back pain due to DDD for the past 18 years. I'm currently on a pain med regiment which includes narcotic and non-narcotic meds. I ran into a problem with my insurance not covering my current dose of Actiq and therefore have to switch to a lower dose -> 600mcg to 400mcg 4Xday.

Now my doctor says he will put me on another pain med in addition to the lower dose of actiq to help with this, but we're having a difficult time deciding which one is best. We're currently trying Dilaudid @ 8mg every 4 hours but I find that really isn't helping all that much. The other med we're looking at is Opana or Oxymorphone.

So considering that the Dilaudid isn't doing much for my pain do you guys think the Opana would work any better? What about another med such as Oxy IR? Any help, tips, or suggestions here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• can you tell me your diagnose?
  • I take 4 mg of generic Zanaflex for the muscle spasms (break them in hallf during the day since they knock me out). I take this every 8 hours.

I also take 40 mg of oxycontin cr every 8 hours (with up to 4 10 mg of oxcontin cr as needed- I can add these in for tough days).

I also take 5 mg of Oxycodone (up to 3 a day as needed) for breakthrough pain.

And to top it off so I can sleep for 5-7 hours I add a generic ambien nightly....

I can't take morphine, but I did try the extended refied Embeda (pulled by the FDA) and it worked very well for the short time I took it (just the terrible rash). I have taken Robaxin (muscle relaxer)for a while as well but it was not as effective.

I hope you can figure out something that works for you :)