Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal stenosis

bubblebackbbubbleback Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Spinal Stenosis
hi,i have just become a member.i have been suffering for the last 10 yrs.i have just seen my neurosurgeon who diagnosed me with spinal stenosis.what worries me is i have visited all these sites and never seem to hear a lot of success stories.he seems very confident that the op would be successful and also said i might need a fusion op later on.i have tried not to take any painkillers but wondering if anybody out there can recommend to have this operation

• What is the operation?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many here whom have spinal stenosis. As far as your question on the surgery, what type of surgery are you having. There are many different types of surgery, and that would help for someone whom has gone through it. Also which level will the surgery be performed at? One thing you need to keep in mind when reading is the success stories leave the forums and are out living a normal busy life and don't pst any longer.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything I can don't hesitate to pm me.
  • Welcome to Spine-health. You will find a lot of information in the various pages as well as friendly people who are willing to share their experiences. I think it is just the nature of people that they are more likely to post if they have issues or concerns to look for advice than to post because they feel good. They may just be out having a good time!

As Donna asked, what is the recommended surgery, and what are your issues?

I hope you find relief soon.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • thanks,ihave been told i will need to have lumbar laminectomy in two places and also to take away bone fragments away.he also said my facet joint has grown and that he has to chip away at it to release the nerves
  • welcome to the forum. Lot's of good info here and stories from others with spine problems. I hope all goes well with you and the other suffers out there.

• I had lumbar laminectomy with fusion on L4/L5 in March 2010. Before my surgery, I had severe stenosis due to spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebra) and degeneration of the disc and facet joints. Because my spine was unstable, I needed to be fused at the same time. The surgeon used the bone that he removed for bone graft.

Before the surgery, I had very limited standing and walking time before I was in bad pain.

Now, after surgery, the awful sciatica in both legs has all but gone and the lower back pain I got is also much better. I still can't stand or walk slowly for very long, but I am better than before.

I am having trouble in other parts of my spine now (neck and thoracic), but am pretty sure that the problems were brewing before my operation, and would have shown up whether I had surgery or not.

If I was in the position again where I had to chose whether or not to have surgery, I would definately go ahead. It is a big susgery, with a long recovery but, from my experience, it has definately been worth it.

Do let us know what you decide to do, and stay here to ask questions and get to know us better. I found the information and support that I got here before my surgery really helped me to prepare for it, and the support after surgery helped me to stay fairly sane and cope with the inevitable difficult days.

Looking forward to getting to know you better :D