Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Issues

keckmoch1kkeckmoch1 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Lower Back Pain
On May 4 I had a discectomy on L5/S1, when I woke up I still had a lot of leg pain. Each day it increased by the next Monday I couldn't handle it anymore. I went into the hospital they MRI'd only to find out that L5/S1 had herniated again. On May 11 I had another discectomy, everything was going great until 6 weeks out. I woke up from a nap with a really tight back and terrible back pain. My doctors have been bouncing me around for a little while finally today they said they are worried about a possible infection!? Really, can this be possible an infection without a fever or other issues? Another MRI also shows the disc to be herniated again and a CT-Scan shows deteriation around the vertebrae. One doctor wants to do a fusion the other wants to try a Pro-Disc. Each day that goes by I hurt more and need more drugs. Any ideas on what my next step should be? Tired of games ready to get infront of the problem.

Washington State

• Welcome to spine-health.Sorry you are having so many issues after your discectomies. Did the doctors explain why they think that you have an infection? Have they given you anything to fight it off?
    I too just had a double discectomy 3 weeks ago, and have more pain than pre surgery.
    Tough decision to know what to do after you have just been through two surgeries in less than three months.Do you have issues at any other levels?

Wishing you all the best. Please keep us updated on how you are doing. Not sure if the two doctors you are dealing with are from the same practice, but maybe you could get an outside opinion from another fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon?

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks Karen, they thought that I may have an infection because the disk is deterorating very quickly. But I found out today that the blood work shows nothing. So now they are pushing to get in and get a fusion done as early as next week. I guess they are worried about how fast the disc is going and want to move fast. They discussed a frontal fusion but have decided that it wouldn't gain much more disc space. I have a slight bulg on L4, but thankfully I don't have DDD.

Sorry to hear your in more pain after your surgery, I know how I felt after my first surgery and wish that on no one. Hope it turns around for you. I think I am going to go ahead with the fusion and keep my fingers crossed that changing my lifestyle will not make L4 herniate.

• Glad for you that the bloodwork did not show an infection.

That is fast , going in and doing your fusion next week. Wanted to wish you all the best with the surgery as well as recovery.Please be extra careful with BLT's, get lots of rest with walking in between.

The third time is going to be the Charm <:P

>:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Sounds to me like they removed so much of the disc that it finaly caused it to leak. You can only remove so much of the disc before you go in far enough where disc is shot and it will leak out and nothing left of it to suport anything. The stuff that leaks out from the disc can attach to the nerve and the sooner its removed the beter so it dont kinda like weld itself to the nerve.

Its always worth trying to save the disc to avoid removing it and fuse it but dont always work, Good luck. Hope fusion resolves it.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
This discussion has been closed.