Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back to my PM today - any idears on something workable?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
So, I am taking 5 15mg roxicodone daily now and 1 nerontin at bedtime. (Well early eve). Since they screw me up mentally, I gotta have it out of my system by morning to get up for work.
The days are staying at a 2-3 consistently which is good, but mornings are bad news! I can hardly walk in the mornings, not so much the nerve pain but every joint in my body, especially my feet, all the bones in my feet, joints, finger joints and elbows are the worst. The back of course too, but that is always about the same. Anybody have any suggestions on something I could ask about trying that maybe I could take around midnight so that it would still be in effect when I get up in the mornings? I feel like I need one more thing to help my mornings and then it would be o.k. I have been late about 3 times a week still because of morning pain and I do not want to change my shift and end up in this hellhole after 4 p.m. I work 6:30 to 4:00 and that is late enough for me! I gotta get home and fix dinner, and take care of all the animals and stuff, plus my flower garden, and all the other stuff that I actually enjoy doing.. Any idears??!

• Hi Marion;

I would actually just those questions to your doc, tell her exactly what you told us. As we all know, asking the doc for specific meds is generally not a good idea, especially when dealing with narcotics. Hope she can figure something out for you!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • She told me to deal with it - case closed. Oh well, I'm still better off than I was. I guess I need to find a rheumatologist now. My knuckles are so swollen they are white as usual, but I don't think she's too interested in that..
  • Deal with it????????????? Seriously?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • No NSAIDs? Have u tried celebrex? Also lyrica (like neurontin). Also for morning pain - I cannot do pt but I do some stretches and it helps with the morning "cripples". But still - I don't know how u do it all, Mouse. Plus - as said above - ask/push your dr for suggestions.
  • HI,
    Sorry you're so miserable, and your dr is basically blowing you off...time for a new dr and the idea of the rhuemy is a good one! Question...have you been tested for rhumetoid arthritis? I have a friend with it, and your symptoms sound just like hers...she's on new meds now, (can't remember the name, I'lll call her and ask and let you know) and is feeling ok, all things considered!
    You're pretty tough ya know...putting up with all of that and working and trying to have a life! I hope you find a GOOD dr, and feel better soon - keep us updated!
  • Just saw your other post and you r already take celebrex. ER med instead of ir - ER can stop the peaks and troughs -especially the overnight ones. Also I see a lot of people use Cymbalta.
  • What about a joint supplement like glucosomine with MSM? Are you allowed to take that? Perhaps an herbal that is for joint lubrication and health?'

I know that some herbals can be very valuable, for instance my hubby takes black cherry extract for his gout and he hasn't had a flare in years. He also takes glucosomine with MSM, however is joints still aren't great, but better without taking it. You need something to get than inflamation down in your joints.

Maybe even a prescription anti-inflam would help?
  • I am feeling for you Mouse. I have the same problem except I haven't worked since March. Hopefully I can go back.... but, I know what you mean about hurting in the mornings. I do take morphine sulfate ER (I take it before I go to bed; every 12 hrs. & I still have issues. My whole body is in extreme pain & it takes everything out of me just to roll over much less get up & go to work. I hope you can find something to help you soon & when you do please let me know what it is so I can try. Thanks
  • Definitely find a new doctor and let us know how you are doing. There has to be something out there that will work for you. Good luck!!

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I told her I only take it every other day and it messes up my stomach and esophogus at that. I have had several surgeries on my esophogus to wrap it because of ulcers. I have to be careful with anti-inflams. I'm going to check into a rheumatologist and see if the have any options. I can deal with the day but these mornings are a misery. My doc is the only one that does pain management in my area (I live in the country more or less) and unless I want to drive an hour each way to test drive someone else, (which I'm not going to do cuz I don't take time off work for crap - just being late cuz of pain and vacations) - I'm pretty much married to her. It'll all work out I suppose, I just gotta suck it up and deal with the mornings and know the rest of the day won't be as bad. Since the thunderstorms have passed, I actually had less swelling today. Weather is definately a huge factor in my morning misery. I need to pack up my horse and move to Florida perhaps! Better yet - the carribean!

I think Belize looks rather inviting with it's 80 to 85 degrees all year round - sitting by the beach with one of those little cocktails with an umbrella, a hot guy to replace it and my horse nuzzling my shoulder saying - "Oh yeah momma - we've hit the motherload"! That's what I'm talkin' about... bet if a bunch of us pooled our cash we could get us a hut down there, open a cafe or small bar and live happily ever after! Any takers??!! (Bet we could get all the "medicine" we wanted down there for a good price as well) LOL!
  • Count me in for Belize!! I could handle the beach and the hot guy with the umbrella drinks who also does massages.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Congrats for keeping your horse! I hope you can still ride!
    My doc doesn't really like me riding, but I've been riding my whole life! I'ts part of me. I don't ride broncs!

Anyway, I had the same issue. You should try something different that is much longer acting. MUCH LONGER!

I worked in the RX business for thirty years, so I know about the meds, what they do, what they don't do.
    Most of those years I could not figure why people would want to take morphine and percocet all the time! Then one day someone at work dropped a 20 pound box on my head and that changed my whole world, and my opinion about the use of narcotics for chronic pain!
    After my back surgery failed in 2009, and a re-injury in 2010, I had to go back on the opioid rx's for chronic pain. I was having too many peaks and lows as the drugs don't give a constant relief. I tried Morphine SR 15mg (lowest dose) and had no luck as the drug wore off in the middle of the night, and I never got more than 2 hours of sleep a night. I asked the doc if he would consider fentanyl patches as they stay potent for 72 hours. He agreed and it has sure made a difference! I still have a low once in a while but tramadol usually helps that.
    I also tried opana (oxymorphone)? and I was so horribly sick. Uggh! Still, I would ask her for a trial on the fentanyl patch. 25mcg is the lowest dose, and you change the patch every 72 hours! It actually made me feel better not having to swallow so many pills constantly. I would ask about it, the worst she can say is no. :)
  • I am definately all in for going to Belize. I could handle the cocktail too, but I doubt my wife would like me trading her in for a hot guy. I don't think it would be a hard sell to get my wife to move to Belize by the beach. Oh by the way Mouse, have you tried Mobic? It is suppose to be really good for joint pain; I personally have not taken it, but I use to work with a guy that couldn't hardly move unless he took Mobic for his athritis pain. There is no way he could work if he didn't take his medicine. Just a thought, I hope you find something that will give you the relief you need.

• I tried Mobic with no success but am now on Voltaren and that seems to work. Also no success with Celebrex.

This discussion has been closed.