Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 months Post OP ACDF Tingling

kratoskkratos Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok here is the quick and easy. I had ACDF at C-4,C-5 and C6, C-7 on march 21st of this year. Recovery was a breeze besides 12 weeks in a hard collar.

Recently I have begun to experience the same tingling in my left arm/hand I had pre surgery. This really has started and I was trying see why and here is a side note. I have been typing A LOT lately, I have been working on two gradute level courses that have me glued to my computer, plus I work, which is 95% computer related. Not sure if this might aggravate something, but it seems its at its worse during and after a long typing session.

Anyhow, the last dang thing I want to do is talk with the doc as I know what thats going to lead to. X-Ray's, MRI's, etc. Has anyone experienced any post op tingling? You think this is all a part of healing? Any thoughts at all?

• I would think if the tingling went away for quite a while after surgery and now with a lot more activity with your arm/hand you are experiencing tingling, you have irritated something. It's probably worth a call to your Dr. At least if it's a call you may be able to postpone any more tests!
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • You said you have been on the computer alot? You could have irritated something in your neck, of course. But you also could have the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure. I've been there. I have carpal tunnel which developed when I was doing a heavy computer job and worsened in grad. school. I also had radiating neck symptoms which required C5-C7 surgery. Pay attention to which fingers get numb and tingly and definitely, talk to your doctor.
  • Its funny. I called my doc and began to tell them my story. I never realized HOW MUCH computer work I have been doing. I too am in grad school. I am currently working on 3 papers of various lengths and I work 9 hour days where my night is about 90% computer related. Anyhow I called them, told them my story and have yet to hear from the actual doc. We'll see I guess...
  • I had to redesign my work area and I have to take 10 min. breaks from the computer every hour. Computer use can trigger various stress syndromes from the neck to the hand. With a bum neck to begin with it can be challenging. Good luck with the doctor.
  • HI,
    I have to agree with the others, that your long term stints on the computer could be to blame.. I agree with Cathy 1836 with how she redid her work space and time to take breaks. If I were you, I would do what she did and try to rearrange things to be more comfy and take breaks to readjust your body and give that neck a chance to relax...
    Best wishes!
  • Hi, hope you'll be doing better.

I am pre-surgery but know that more than several minutes at a time on the computer makes my neck and arm symptoms a whole LOT worse. For me, anyway.........

Is everything ergonomic at your station?