Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe neck and shoulder pain

WonderboytwiceWWonderboytwice Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:H Saw my Spinal Surgeon this morning 29/7 to get results of Radionuclid Scan done on 15/7. Apparently there is swelling in areas C7 and C8 so he wants to inject these and then see me a month later to judge effect. Other alternative was a discogram which he seemed reluctant to do. Should injections not work the ACDF C4/5/6 done in September 2010 will have to be extended!! The pain is most severe however Amitryptiline seems to help a little and stops the spasms.

Previous ops: Rt Knee Total Replacement 1998 but had to be revised 2000. Lt Knee Total Replacement 2006. PLIF plus rebuild of lower spine 2008. ACDF C4/5/6 2010.

• Hopefully the shots will give you relief. I had my C5/6 done, and a year and a month later my C6/7 went - another fusion. Fingers crossed you won't need an add on!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi Wonderboy,

Sounds to me like you have adjacent disc disease, as the same happened to me. I have had to have other levels added into my original fusion. It was explained to me the weight of the fusion placed on the adjacent levels cause them to fail. There are several of with this same condition floating around. Try the injections and see what type of relief they give, as sometimes they are used for diagnostic purposes and not real relief. But then they can also help the condition. As far as the discogram, my surgeon is not fond of them for the cervical spine, as they can give false negatives. Also if the imaging already shows a compression, it really won't change the diagnoses. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • :SS Hello everyone. Had my injections yesterday 4/8/11 and had 2 through right side of neck and 2 through left side of neck covering areas C4/5/6/7. The instant relief from most of my pain was wonderful but receiving the injections themselves was very painful however I am most fortunate in that I can tolerate a lot of pain!! My Spinal Surgeon told me that after these if they reduced the pain he would need to consider extending my cervical fusion distally. The injections were carried out by a Senior Radiologist Doctor who had the largest hands I've ever seen! Have to return to see my Surgeon on 9th September 2011 so will give you further news then. Many thanks for all your comments particularly from Brenda.
  • Did they give you any light anesthesia or numbing to the site prior to injection? I always had that for my neck. I didn't have it for my back, but I will ask for it next time I have back shots. It may take longer to administer, but I didn't have the discomfort of the shots.

I've had cortisone shots in my hips. They're no picnic but it's very short-lived.

Good luck.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • :SS It is now 4 days since my injections and so far so good. My pain has almost all gone with only the slight twinge now and again in the neck area. I would definitely recommend this procedure to all who are suffering. Hope the pain does not return as I see Spinal Surgeon on 9th September for his decision whether or not to extend my cervical fusion down to level C7. Warmest regards to you all from UK.
  • :SS Have just returned 6/9/2011 from seeing my Spinal Surgeon. Unfortunately some 12 days ago the pain came back with a vengeance after having felt so good when I had neck injections on 4/8/2011!! He told me that he expected this to happen as it proved to him that trouble was in facet joints C5/6 and C6/7. He has decided that I need another operation this time done by posterior method to fuse all these facet joints. It should be quite an easy operation he said. If anyone out there has had this done I would be interested in hearing from them. Hope to have operation before Xmas.

Previous operations: PLIF plus rebuild 2008 - ACDF C4/5/6 September 2010 - Rt knee replacement 1998 but unfortunately revision 2000 - Lt knee replacement 2006.
    I am a British Nuclear Test Veteran having been at Atomic Bomb Tests off Christmas Island, Pacific in 1958.