Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bumping into walls and walking a straight line

KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
When I was being evaluated by surgeons I was told that there was spinal impingement because I couldn't walk a straight line. I thought, I'd better not get pulled over or go through a DUI check. 8} I also fairly regularly bumped into walls. I had gotten so used to it I didn't pay much attention. Now that I've had surgery I'm still bumping into walls, etc. Has anybody found a difference after surgery? Just curious.
4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.

• Hi Karen,

I also have been prone to find door-frames. I have done okay so far since my ACDF, but it has only been 4 days since. Found myself a hair off balance once.....it's still early though.

• Karen,

Ditto for the DUI checkpoint test here... I can't do what is called "tandem walk" which is similar to walking on a balance beam. If I try to walk with my feet about 5 inches apart, my right foot turns inward (left) about 40 degrees while my left foot stays pointing jet straight.

I also can't walk on my heels - my left foot flattens back to the floor. Can walk on my tippy toes fine. Mine is from my lumbar issues though. Did your doctor or surgeon have any thoughts of what is going on? I hope you see improvement, and too get answers soon.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • karen,

You are still very new out of surgery, to know what will be permanent. Now for those with myelopathy surgery is done to stop more damaging from occurring not to alleviate what has happened. It doesn't sound through any of your post that your in this category, so you might want to talk to surgeon about some physical therapy and balance is one of the things they can work on.