Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am happy to report...

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
things are going SO much better! I am 3.5 weeks out from my two-level thoracic discectomy, and the pain is so much more manageable. In fact, I didn't need to take ANY pain meds today. Don't get me wrong, the pain is still there, but it's not incapacitating. I'll probably take my meds before bed, because night time tends to be worse. Overall, it seems we're going in the right direction. I figure a lot of my posts over these last couple of weeks have been so negative, so I wanted to report the good news to you!

• Hi Kim, I am so happy for you. You have been through so much.
  • It's not an easy recovery and you're doing well and hope you recover completely but still don't overdo. All the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks! Will definitely make sure not to overdo it. My mother-in-law took the kids overnight last night and took them to an amusement park today, so they were gone all day. I spent the entire day just relaxing on the couch. When I'm laying down, my pain is maybe a 1 at most. When I'm up and moving around, it's about a 3 or 4, so still much better. As I'm sitting here now, I have no pain whatsoever. I DID take my pain meds before bed, though, since the pain tends to get worse at night. It's just amazing what a difference 3.5 weeks makes. I no longer regret having the surgery. For a while I was questioning whether I made the right decision having the surgery, but it really was too soon to make that determination. I know I'll have my good days and bad days, but it's definitely seeming like lately there are more good than bad. Yay for progress!!
  • Very happy for you Kim! The roughest part of recovery is of course the beginning. It's truly an awesome thing when you "turn a corner!"

Keep it up! Still go slow!

• Great news Kim,glad to hear you are doing much better.
    I am doin great also 3.5 weeks later.I am taking about 0-2 neurontin a day and 1 muscle relaxer at night.My leg pain is so much better now. However i still hate when shirts and such rub against my incision area.mostly the skin around it.Oh and i hate wearing my seatbelt as they went through anterior.
  • Things had been going so well, but then again I was able to sit and relax all weekend. My mother-in-law took the kids overnight Friday night and kept them all day Saturday, so I spent the entire weekend sitting/laying on the couch doing absolutely nothing. Needless to say, my pain was very little. Because of that, I stopped taking the Motrin because it's been upsetting my stomach, and I was afraid I'd end up with a GI bleed on top of everything else. I still took the oxycodone and flexeril before bed, since the pain tends to get worse at night time.

Yesterday comes around and started out really well. I stook by the sink for maybe 10 minutes to husk some corn for dinner, and by the time I was finished, the left-sided pain was excrutiating, to the point that I was nauseated. I took some Motrin and tried not to think about it. As the day progressed, the pain just got worse. Today has been even worse than yesterday. If I'm standing for longer than a few minutes, I end up with left-sided pain that wraps around my ribcage to the front. As it progresses, it will travel down my left leg and I get shooting pains there, along with sciatica. I was going to let it go and see how I felt by the time my appt on 8/23 came around, but the pain today is so severe. Even sitting here on the couch, I'm in bad shape.

I called the NP and she seemed genuinely concerned. I explained everything to her, and she put me on hold and ran it by the doctor. He wants to hold off on doing a repeat MRI, because he thinks it'll still show a lot of inflammation. For now they want me to resume the Motrin three times a day religiously. If the pain is no better by Friday, I am supposed to call back. If it gets worse or I develop increased numbness/tingling/weakness in my legs or loss of bowel/bladder, I am to call immediately. So I've resumed the Motrin and am crossing my fingers that it works. I told the NP that this pain is a mirror image of what I experienced on my other side, except it's much MUCH worse. It hurts to take a deep breath and it's making me nauseous. My hubby is very worried that it's that other disc that's acting up. I'm trying to remain positive, so I keep telling him it's probably inflammation putting pressure on the nerves, causing this radiating pain. Plus, the muscles back there are still healing. However, the steroids didn't seem to help at all, and I've only been off the Motrin since Friday, and I was still having this pain even while taking the Motrin.

In any case, I go for my lift eval for work tomorrow, but they know I'm not allowed to lift more than 10 lbs. I'm going to make sure I pre-medicate myself prior to going, that way I can get through it. I start work on Monday, which I think will be good for me. It's hard not to overdo it when I'm home alone with three children all day. But, I've been good about not lifting the little one unless absolutely necessary, and I've been making sure to sit and relax whenever possible. However, Monday and Tuesday will be full days of orientation, so it'll be nice because I won't have to chase after the girls all day, so it'll be kind of like a break for me. Wow, that's pretty sad that work is considered a break! lol.
  • Hello,
    Im new to this site, I have just been reading all the posts, and some seem so dreadful, but I guess its different for everyone. Kim you seem to be doing well after only 3.5 wks, but please still take it easy. Charlie, I see you had ACDF's done. I have to get that procedure done as well. They wanted to do emergency surgeery on me on 7/15/11 but I refused, out of fear. No-one ever told me what to expect of this or that I was even getting it until 8am when they came into my hospital room and said ok, we are ready to do the surgery. I was at a loss for words. So they sent me home the next morning with the miamij neck brace. Its like walking on eggshells everyday. I have to be careful of everything I do or I can become paralized. I have a herniated dic at C5-C6, C6C7 being the worst. I also have a few others that are not of concern right now, can you tell me anything to make this decision a little easier.