Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Its always something .... DVT vs CRPS ??

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
Well after getting tired of my numb thighs and swollen foot and leg (and pain and numbness and kittens and dogs) I made an off time appointment with my PM (who also is a neurologist) (Nice combo).

Upon looking at my foot and leg he said that I could have a deep venous thombosis and needed to get a venous doppler ASAP (as you may know if one of them thomboli breaks loose it becomes an emboli .... emboli's can get stuck in the brain, lung, or heart)= potential death. (ewe).

So tomorrow I am going to Alex's favorite hospital and am getting a venous doppler. If that comes out clean it would potentially point towards Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (almost as unappealing)as it would lead to a bunch of trigger point injections into the nerves near the herniations in my back L2 - L5.

What a drag it is getting old!

DVT or CRPS .... Place your bets!!

Warmest regards - and pitting edema,

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• How long have you had the issue of the swelling? Ever since I had my fusion on Feb 1 2011 my right lower leg swells and my toes swell and go numb. It doesn't swell to the point of being visually obvious, just to the point where I feel like my skin on my calf is going to bust open to relieve the pressure. My ortho said that the nerves are irritated and that is causing the swelling. I dont know if i buy it or not.
  • It really sucks...you've been through enough already. The lesser of two evils - which would that be? Please let us know how it goes.

Right now I'm going through the circuit with my lower back - started with cortisone shots in my hips, and told to go get nerve blocks at L5-S1...but my neck is healing nicely.

I hope you have some relief soon.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I probably have CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome)
    in both of my legs (the leg being the worse). My PM Neuro said that if the doppler comes back normal .. the next course of treatment is to do nerve block injections into the symathetic nerves in my low back.

This doesn't sounds like it will be any fun ....:(

Spine-health Moderator

• What hospital? In glenview maybe? If it is that 1. Maybe the same female neuro i seen. She cute but she refered me to another dr in there group,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Dave,

I have CRPS or as they termed it back in the day RSD. They can do a 3D bone scan to confirm that diagnoses. I am wondering how they separated your lumbar issues from CRPS. Of course I had mine before the lumbar issues. While I do getting swelling it is from the lumbar issue not the RSD. I was scanned not long ago to check where it was and it still stuck on the plate in my ankle which that is good news. I hope the doctor told you how important it was to get the leg moving? One of the primary things of CRPS is being sensitive to touch, things such as clothes sheets, showers and so forth. Have you had a leg emg, they like to do those also to rule any other conditions out.
    My PM Neuro thinks that its all related to my L2 - L5
    herniations and perneaol Nerve issue which is an off shoot of L5 scatica.

The new kicker of the day is that in addition to both anterior (front) thighs being nub or burning 0n my right foot has begun the same non-sense (swelling - pain - numbness).

The information out on the web about CRPS is a bit scetchy, and the treatments sound a bit hit or miss.

Overall I am becomming numb to these new problems,
    theres only so many times you can get excited by going to Disney Land!!

Spine-health Moderator

• When I first had my herniated disc at L5-S1 I had both legs swollen and feet so much so no shoes would fit me except sandals. I did well with peddling a recumbent stationary bicycle and icing and compression bandage sometimes in the evening and got the swelling down but still have L4-5 peroneal nerve compression as per EMG on one leg. The injections have helped the pain and Cymbalta also but still have the numb tingling in shin and side of leg and foot under and top and side.

I often wondered if it's RSD also. I hope you get relief from injections and get the twilight sedation. I wish I could get that sedation wit injections but doesn't seem to be offered here in Toronto where I live. Did they do x-rays on you also? My feet were so swollen they thought I had stress fractures so had to get a bone scan first and seems arthritis has moved in for me but no fractures or DVT. Glad you don't have a DVT. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Dave,

Actually the information that is available at the RSD.org website is pretty good information. When it is located in a extremity the diagnoses with the bone scans becomes easier made. As far as the peroneal nerve depending on where the issues is from can be isolated out with a emg study. They will cross some of the same patterns, but sense I suffer with it, my surgeons have showed me which is which pain pattern I am feeling on a given day. Now I do have to say my peroneal nerve entrapements are to both the deep and superficial nerve branches, and came from when I broke the fibula as it is a common injury. Unfortunately it usually doesn't get diagnosed with the break as they are looking at pain from the obvious. Emg studies will rule out many things for example when they did that leg looking for the pain, even though I had RSD, in it, they also came up with the peroneal nerve issues and tarsal tunnel. Which is why i kind of hate the leap into CRPS. Also once you get that diagnoses, many doctors will just brush you off as they know the only way out is physical therapy and injections. There isn't a lot of room for treatment with it, which is why i advocate so strong they find the diagnoses and don't just use that DX. The pictures on the web are pretty good as to what it looks like. It definitely changes the color and shape of the effected limb. So I do hope if they gave you that DX they put you in some aggressive physical therapy. Also I might add that once you get that dx, many surgeons won't take you as a surgical candidate unless it immediate danger, they don't want to risk it spreading or get worse caused by in activity of surgery recovery.
    Well I saw my regular doc last week ... My BP was a little high and with the swelling he put me on good old hyroclorothyazide a diuretic - (water pill) ... over the past 3 - 4 days the swelling in both feet has almost resolved 100%.

Saw my PM doc today who said that since the Diuretic helped the swelling .... it means no CRPS !! .... He did an ESI on my L3-L4 and next week I'll get another ESI for L4-L5 .... and that will be it for a while (XXXXX everything I have two of is crossed XXX)! .... gee that kinda hurts !! Hopefully the ESI's will give me my thighs back !!

Stay tough!! We've had ENOUGH !!!

Spine-health Moderator

• Dave,so happy you have some good new`s on a rainey day! You are very tough. I will be praying those ESI`s help your thighs. Hugs and God bless, Brenda C.