Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kittykatsluvmekkittykatsluvme Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone
I know,i should have created this post when i first joined.
I actually forgot about this site until a few days ago.
I was sooo happy that i just jumped right in before introducing myself here.
I am a 43 yr old wife/mom.My son is 24 and married.My daughter is 20 and engaged.
Hubby and I have been married for almost 25 yrs already~!Time flies when your having fun;0)
We have 4 cats that we spoil rotten!!
I've had 10 surgeries since i was 23 yrs old.
The last 5 were in the past 9 yrs.
I've had rotater cuff repair on left arm,Ulnar nerve transposition and carpel tunnel on the right arm,lower back surgery,right leg surgery[vein stripping]Hysterectomy at the old age of 34 and the list goes on and on.
I love to work and so this sedentary lifestyle is humbling me,to say the least!
Anyway..Onto my most recent problem...
I had a Lamenectomy done at L5S1 in March of 2008.
No real issues to mention afterwards.
Just the normal ups/downs of healing after surgery.
Fast frwd to October of last year.I was working at a job i loved...Housekeeping.
I bend down to pick up a mop bucket that had cleaning bottles in it,nothing heavy ..Thats when i felt the pop for the first time.
I have since learned to describe it perfectly so others can understand better.
It feels like when your knee pops outta place and you have to jerk back real quick,then you have the pain for a few days afterwards.It has gotten so intense lately i'm scared to death it's just not gonna pop back one day real soon..So i have desisions to make.
I tried physical therapy shots,you name it..Yet nothing seems to help me much!

If i stand too long,walk too much or even sit too long,i can feel it coming on and i have to get in the recliner and lay right back to make it ease up.
If i'm able to get outta here and go to the grocery store,i'll have to lean over something to help stretch the kink out BEFORE it gets me;0(!
I have been in pain management since April.I've had 2 ESI and 1Caudial block in my lower back ..Nothing has helped so far.
I have worked my way up to taking 4 of the 4mg Mophone pills
I was referred to a neuro surgeon ,he said i will need a spinal fusion at L5S1 .
I also recently found out that i have DDD and my osteoporsis has gotten worse.
So i went for a 2nd opinion with my older doctor who performed the first surgery.
He said:No way,i don't need a fusion he suggested i try the spinal stimulator!
Since coming back here,i have learned sooo much.
I'm not so sure about the spinal implant now because my nerve pain goes down both sides of my buttox but no further.Every so often my right top foot feels like i have needles stabbing it right on top but not everyday.
I have learned from the people here that the spine stimulator more than likely won't help my bone pain..Which was one of my big concerns.
I have alot of work to do before i make a decision.
Just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm going to ask alot of questions and read as much as i can...before i make a decision!

• Hi and Welcome Back.

First of all I have 5 very spoiled cats!!

Second, I had a laminectomy at L4/L5 that ended up being a fusion a few years later. I have since had 3 fusions (I am fused L1-S1). Two of the fusions were the vertebrae sliding forward causing pain and weakness. Pain going down my right leg and pain in my big toe. Also weakness as in I never knew when I was standing if my right leg was going to stop functioning for a minute or 2. My 2nd fusion was when my spine was collapsing in on itself. All my fusions were successful and eliminated the pain and weakness, etc.

Like you I have had many surgeries, 16 in my life time.

Why does the neurosurgeon say you need the fusion?? And why does the first surgeon say no?? I am not familiar with spinal stimulator but I am sure you can do research on the internet and I am sure there are people on Spine Health who are familiar with it.
    I have always done as much research as possible before my fusions so I can ask intelligent questions and try to understand what the doctor is telling me!!

Have you thought about a 3rd opinion since the first two are conflicting??

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out and what you decide to do.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Thats good they keep you out of trouble, I have 4 cats they are problem children. :>
  • Yes mine are problem children too. Everything is about them!!!

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I am so glad you are doing your homework, and getting second and maybe third opinions. In my experience when getting a stimulator put in for pain, it is usually after the doctor has stabilized the problem through surgery, or has relieved the pressure off the nerves so further damage can not be done to the nerves that have pressure on them. Have you had another MRI, and if so does it say if their are any herniations or nerve compressions? I would want to know if their are new problems causing this pain; if so, then I would try to have those problems fixed before I masked the pain with a stimulator. You definitely don't want to have something pressing against the nerves that could cause more serious problems, and not have it addressed. Stimulators have helped people with their pain that is for sure, but make sure that everything else is ok first. Spine Health has so much information to offer, and the people here are so caring and helpful. If I can do anything for you let me know, and I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Good luck and sending you many pain free days your way.