Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain for 6 months

singermom75ssingermom75 Posts: 2
I am a 36 year old mother of two. I have been in pain for the past 6 months. I went to my GP and he diagnosed sciatica. He said I had to get an xray and do 6 weeks of physical therapy before I could get an MRI through my insurance. I am now finding that my ankles and knees seem to be getting bad because of how I am carrying myself due to the scaitca. At the end of the day, both ankles are swollen and painful and I hear a grinding in my right knee, although my sciatica pain is on my left side. I am in CONSTANT pain. I have not found any relief, except for the first week of trying 4 Aleve daily at my doctors advice. Since then, the Aleve seems to dull the pain for a few hours, but by 3pm every day I am in excruciating pain. I find myself yelling at my kids more because I feel so awful which, of course, makes me feel worse. I can't enjoy sex with my husband and sometimes I even refuse or ignore him because I am in so much pain. He is very understanding, but I feel like this pain is taking over every aspect of my life. I am a musician and I have to stand for many hours on stage in high heels. I have a gig tomorrow night for the first time in months and, since the pain has only gotten worse, I'm scared I won't make it through the night. Funny... insurance will cover surgical options but not chiro or massage therapy. I guess I don't have too many questions especially after reading many informative posts on her before joining. Just glad to find a place with others going through what I am.

• Wanted to welcome you here to spine health. Have you had your xray and started PT already? If so, did the xray show anything and are you getting any relief from the PT? Have you tried ice/heat for the pain? If your meds aren't helping,talk with your doctor, he could try you on something else for the pain.

Pain can be very hard and can mess with our moods(ie yelling at the kids and lack of desire for intimacy)

Wish you all the best with your gig tomorrow night, maybe leave the high heels at home (ouch)

Hopefully soon, you can get your MRI and see what it going on.

Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Can the doctor give you something else for the sciatica pain? Is it possible to have a stool or something to lean on on stage? Can you use it for a neat prop?

Pain really sucks. I hope it subsides soon.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thanks...
    I had the xray yesterday, waiting for results and will start the PT after that I suppose. I've been working a day job and next week is my last week, so I can start after that.
    I'm gonna go try and find some flats I can wear tonight. The heels are a no go. I can't even step in them!
    Of course, this morning I sneezed and threw out something in my neck, too, so now I have pain all the way from my neck to my ankles... I've been using a heating pad and it helps temporarily. I'm afraid to take anything for the pain that would interfere with my ability to care for my kids and be completely aware. And I HATE any pain meds I've been on before. I don't like feeling out of it at all.
  • Hi Singer mom,
    I am a classical singer! ;)

I herniated my disc at L5/S1 in May of 2010. I tried eeeeeverything to avoid surgery. PT, chiro, massage, osteopathy, decompression treatments, medications and epidural steroid injections. While it is true that many people do improve with time, in my case I was not lucky in that way.

I am also v sensitive to medications and had a v hard time finding something to help me cope--( too the edge off a lil bit) - especially in the beginning before I knew what was causing my pain. I did find some options though that did not space me out, affect my voice or have negative side effects. (after much trial and error).

I was very blue and I tried working through the pain and spent many sleepless night crying on the living room floor (the one place I could *sometimes* get some rest --the hard floor was more comfortable than my brand new orthopaedic bed- go figure) ! I had professional concerns too- being self employed without benefits--- there was no sure-fire way to know how long my recovery would take IF I opted for surgery. (fortunately, here in Canada the surgery is free... however cost of living is NOT). So, that was always in the back of my mind.

Pain is a horrible thing and can change you drastically- short tempered etc. I felt terrible for my husband --(guilt too)-- he was v. understanding but unable to do anything to ease my suffering and he felt v. helpless.

Many people do get better without surgery, but in my case I finally opted for surgery and am a month post op and v. happy (and grateful) for the positive results. I am extremely thankful that I have my life back.

I'm not gonna lie- It was a rocky road but there is hope!

Wishing you much success in your journey towards a successful recovery!
    Be kind to yourself.