Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 microdiscectomy

DoocastleDDoocastle Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Had L5/S1 microdiscectomy in May 2011, which reherniated and repeat surgery end of July 2011. I am 2 weeks post op this time. I had no relief after 1st surgery and done so far.

Pre-Op signs and symptoms

1st herniation event 4 years ago...managed with gabapentin and injections and lots of ALEVE...finally foot pain/numbness and paresthesia on left foot would not allow me to sleep...

Post op...foot pain same if not worse...aching back and soreness at surgical site...lower back pain and left arm/hand has developed a numbess (intermitent)...

I have been told that recovery may be long and may not feel results for 6 months to a year...

Would appreciate fellow sufferers experience and hints. What is your take on the back brace...I have only had relief in past with ice and have constantly lived with an ice pack on back and at night on left foot...

PLEASE any advice re: pain relief....I want my old life back!

• Welcome to spine health! Sorry to hear that your first micro discectomy reherniated and so quickly. How did you realize that you had reherniated? Was it the same pre op pain or new pain? Did the doctor send you for an MRI to confirm?

Although I just had my first microdiscectomies a month ago, I have heard that if you have it done again, recovery is definately longer the second time around. For myself the incission pain lasted a good three weeks or more. I too have numbness in my foot and calf which I had pre op.

I am concerned for you regarding your left arm/hand numbness. Have you had cervical issues previously? I would let your doctor know about this.

I use ice and heat to try to help with the pain.When lying down I lie on my side with a pillow between my knees. I wear a back brace, which I also wore off and on before surgery.

Are you still taking gabapentin or another nerve pain medication? pain medication? Try to take walks often, resting in between.

The longer a nerve has been compressed, the longer it will take to heal. My nerve was compressed for a year before surgery, so trying to take it one day at a time.

Wishing you all the best! Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • How did it feel when u re herniated disc?
  • Hi. I just wanted to let you know that I had an L5-S1 micro-disectomy (sp) two months to day and have to tell you to be patient with yourself. I was in pain for five years with back pain and left leg sciatica. All I can say is the walks will help, balancing the medication as directed, and being patient as I know it is very difficult. My thoughts are with you during your improvement....
  • How long will my numb foot take to heal surgery 7/28 walk 1 mile day
  • Welcome to spine health!
    You might want to try opening up your own thread with questions you have, as you will have a better chance of more people seeing your questions.

I think with numbness, alot of it can depend on how long your nerve was compressed. I know that nerves take a long time to heal ( something like a milimetre a day??) How long were you having problems before your surgery? My nerves were compressed for over a year, so I still have numbness as well.

Hang in there, and again,

welcome to the group!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • 2weeks post oP walked 2 miles today foot (left)still numb can't figure out why my right rib area sore since surgery anyone else have this? Did they drop me in o.r.?All u post ops let's hang in there and get through this together!