Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bulging disks suck

turbo313tturbo313 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have 2 bulging disks at L4 and L5, L4 looks terrible. We are in "watch and wait" mode to see if they fix themselves. Some days are better than others, but yesterday I couldn't walk. I can't recall doing anything to cause the pain I was in. It was so bad I had to use my cane to get around my house.

This is a problem because it kept me home and not at work. It still hurts like heck today, but I managed to get myself to work. I am walking slower than a turtle and can't get comfortable in my chair. I am taking two Norco 10-325 every 4 hours which just take the edge off of the pain.

I am at a loss as to what I should do. I am really trying to avoid surgery as I just started this job 2 months ago. Like I said, some days are much better than others. Is there a better medication I can take for the pain that won't make me too loopy? Excercises I should be doing? It is hard to walk when it hurts to move.

I just feel beat down and am trying to stay strong for my hubby and kiddos. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Connie,

Have you tried any of the nerve meds, such as lyrica? I use lyrica and don't get the drunk feeling so much with it, as I did with nuerontin, but everyone responds to the meds differently. There are also others that are in use. Different medications target different types of pain, and many times it takes a combination of meds to help with the pain. Are you in pain management while you wait and see or is a PCp ordering the meds? Whomever is talk to them about the specific pain and see what they have to offer. You might even keep a journal so you can explain it more clearly.
  • and it worked great, however I reacted horribly to it and went into a deep depression so we had to stop it. My NS is prescribing my current pain meds. I may need to pay him another visit to discuss seeing a pain management dr.

I've done PT, I use heat/ice, been on 2 Medrol packs (which helped for a short time), not lifting anything heavier than 10lbs, and trying to walk as often as I can.

My MRI showed that my L4 disk is pretty bad and is pressing on both nerves while L5 is only pressing on one nerve. It just hurts to sit, stand, or move. Lying down is the only thing that relieves the pain and I can't really do that at work.

• Sorry that you are having so much pain. I too suffered from three different spots that the nerve was compressing.

Has your NS discussed surgical intervention with you at all? I see that you had an acdf C3-6 after a laminectomy. How is your neck doing since your surgery?

Have you had any ESI's to see if that brings you any relief?

There are other nerve pain meds out there. Have you tried neurontin or cymbalta?

Hoping that your pain begins to ease up for you.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Connie,
    Yes, bulging discs are awful. Have you tried spinal traction? This can really help the pain. There are several types of products that help and they range in price. One website I have used is www.neckpainpros.com and they actually have a coupon out now for 15% off any order. The code is 1ABXQ3. Good luck finding relief for your bulging discs.
  • I just don't want to go down that route just yet. My NS said that fusion would be the best option if I am still in pain and all other methods have been exhausted.

I have not tried Cymbalta or neurontin. I will ask my dr about those. I will try anything right now to alleviate this pain.

I have apparently turned into a grumpy, angry person. My husband asked me if i could stop being so angry. Every time he asks if it is ok to go out with the guys, i get mad. I told him last night I'm not trying to be tacky, it just sucks that his body functions and mine doesn't and I am jealous. I want to go out and do fun stuff too..but when I can hardly move, it just isn't possible.

He just wants me to get better...is that even possible!
This discussion has been closed.