Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Dessication at Young Ge

Jen87JJen87 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello my name is Ash id like to share my MRI results with you in need of your help to further analyze this condition , i was feeling slight pain in my lower back so i thought i have an MRI done to check what maybe the problem, im only 23 and have not attained any trauma injuries and im in perfect health with a good family history clear of any significant diseases or spine problems....the MRI results came back and honestly are worrying me on what am i supposed to do or reply with these results , the diagnosis came as disc dessication at L5-S1 level.

My question to you kindly is should i respond to these results in any way , im not obese nor have any problems of the sort, so im puzzled on to why this has occured with me and how i should react and the other issue is im planning on joining the army in 2 years time , so would this stand in my way and if it does is there a way to get it cured and thank you and God Bless you all

Early marginal osteophytes are seen on lumbar vertebral bodies
    Disc dessication is seen involving L5-S1 disc with posterocentral disc protrusion causing indentation over thecal sac, moderate effacement of bilateral lateral recesses , however canal dimensions are within normal limit
  • please any comment onto this issue will be helpful
  • The only time I have seen a dessicated disc rehydrate, was a radical surgery in Germany a few years back. The surgeon "scraped" the endplates of the vertebrates and the subsequent MRI shows the once black disc, now bright white.

In the future, it is hoped advances in cellular biomed will offer a solution.

Other than that, discs do not rehydrate.

Since there is some abnormal pathology occurring, maybe that is causing the symptoms. ? It could be anything.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • thank you , much appreciated ...ill follow the results with an ortho and neuro surgeon im just worried why this is occuring at such a young age, ive read into some of the causes of a disc drying out and i have non of the problems or causes to it ...again thanks for your remarks
  • Just hazarding a guess here - please have your films examined by a radiologist and orthopedist or NS...There appears to be a transitional lumbosacral segment below, that sometimes makes the level above more prone to early degenerative disc disease.
  • i do not wanna hijack your thread but it seem like we have similar cases, i had a discography in 2007 that revealed degenerative joint disease, and disc disease. very mild at that point. light pain. shortly thereafter, i joined the military, and did great. but the constant pounding on my spine took its toll. so make sure you take all precautions and see as many doctors as possible before you join. get as many opinions as you can. and get their opinion on the idea of the army. Good luck
  • I am not sure what your results mean but can sympathize that these things can happen at a young age for no reason. I started having bulging discs and muscle spasms at age 20. My first MRI was this year (9 yrs later) after I herniated my L5S1 this spring (just had surgery today) and they also diagnosed me with degenerative disc disease is three discs. NS said it could have been from being very active at a young age, playing sports etc. who knows. I am only 29 now and now that maturity has set in and realize I am not immortal, hehe, will do what it takes to have a healthy back here on out :)

Maybe your doctor can help you understand how to not make it progressively worse (stretching learned through PT, yoga etc)

good luck to you!