Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 Microdiscetomy recovery

chwill17cchwill17 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I wanted to post what I hope is the beginning of a good story. I am 31, in good shape, and have been dealing with leg pain since November. After lots of PT, NSAIDS, and 2 rounds of ESIs, we finally moved forward on surgery.

That was 4 days ago. Went in Monday morning and out by the afternoon. I rested all day Monday, but only took one percocet. It made me a little dizzy, so I havent taken any more.

Started walking Tuesday...made it down the street 3 times throughout the day. The next day, I did a total of 2 miles. Yesterday, 2.5. Today, 3.5. I actually pushed my 2 year old son in a jogging stroller for 1.3 miles this evening (albeit on a very flat road). Found that walk to be the most therapeutic.

My only pain at this point is minor incision pain. Sleeping is difficult, but only because I am a stomach sleeper (a no-no post surgery). I haven't taken any medications at all since day 2.

I called my doc this morning to make sure that I wasn't overdoing it with the walking. They said that, unless I am feeling discomfort, I can walk as much as I like.

My only fear is that this is going TOO well! I hope this isn't a fluke...but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• Your recovery so far is very inspiring! I recall you posted before about hoping to return to work after
    three weeks and I was thinking that was very optimistic. Now I'm thinking you might be just fine.

Everyone has different recoveries, some fast, some slow. Some experience immediate pain relief, while others have more pain than before surgery.

Very happy for you that so far it is going so well.Keep it up, and try to keep us updated, nice to hear some of the good stories out there.

>:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I am now 12 days post surgery. Feeling better each day. I've been walking 3 miles per day since day 5, with no discomfort whatsoever. This past Monday, I returned to work for a few hours each day (my doc would not agree with this), but I've been very careful. Fortunately, my job has no physical requirements so this has not been an issue.

I have to continue to remind myself to be careful. Keeping a tight dressing over the incision is a physical limitation that has been wise, as it provides immediate feedback if I twist or bend accidentally.

I am greatly looking forward to exercise, once my doctor has cleared me. My biggest discomfort currently is the tightness in my lower back, which will only be relieved by stetching. Of course, I am not going to stretch until clearance.

I do continue to have some numbness in my leg, which I've been told is normal. Exercise hopefully will fix this over time.

My first surgical follow-up is Thursday. Hopefully I will lose the sutures and get orders for physical therapy.