Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior C6-C7 Revision surg. Post op pain/recovery PAIN

dilynnddilynn Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Back again. Didn't think I would be. Just have a couple of questions. First a bit of history. 2007 I had ACDF of C6-C7' I thought everything was great. Symptoms resolved. Felt great. Fast forward to Nov 2010, started some working out. I had a min invasive lumbar surgery earlier in year. Thats another story. I started developing neck pain. As a nurse I felt there was something differnt. Long story short, jumped thru hoops with injections, MRI. Finally ordered Bone Scan showed there was no fusion.
Well July 26th, a differnt Doc did a posterior fusion with hardware, Rods and screws. All I can say is here I am 2 weeks, almost 3 and wow. It still really hurts. I am active, trying to comply with the BLT. Do pretty good during day but by night I am in tears.
How long is this going to go on. Doc did say this was going to be painful. Taking Percocet and Valium for pain. It seems to work. I take it mostly one time daily at night.
Am I doing to much to early and should I take my meds more reg at this time. It hurts to look down on pc and to bend to pick something up. I don't have a hard collar just a soft one for comfort.....Can anyone give me any info on how they did................
2007 ACDF C6 - C7
2010 Aspen Cage L4,L5 for Grade 2 Spondo and spinal stenosis
2011 Non-Union C6-C7, Revision Posterior fusion with hardware.
2012 Failed fusion of L4, L5. Revision L4, L5 Fusion with hardware.

• Your doctor was correct when he said it would be more painful. For some it may not be as painful as it is for others. In my experience the biggest issues is the muscle spasms. For myself I valium did help with those, in the early going, and then moved back to my Soma. I think you need to take the medications on a timely basis and stay ahead of the pain to give your neck a chance to heal. If you are continually in pain, your body is not healing, so just go with the meds and get the pain under control. Once you have the pain under control you can begin to be more active. It is also important at this stage that your walking as much as possible. Sounds like you have the NO BLT down, so walking would be the best thing for you. If your not sure what you should be taking on your meds call your surgeons office and ask them. You don't want to take to much, but there is no need to be in pain and not heal either, if you have medications that could help. The good news is at least the surgery is over? You will be happier once you hit about the 8 week mark and the pain begins to reduce, I hope.
  • HI,
    I had a redo of C5-C7 in May, anterior and posterior, and as before, the anterior wasn't that bad, but the dr. warned me that the posterior was going to hurt, and he wasn't kidding! FOr the 1st 3-4 weeks, I was miserable, took pain meds, and at 1 mo. postop, was given muscle relaxers, and started mild isometric exercises to flex the muscles, that are moved during surgery. That helped alot...I'm now at 12 weeks postop, and feel MUCH better. Hang in there, take the meds, and you will feel better, but it will take awhile!