Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what do you think will happen

hollywoodhhollywood Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey guys,

Well I finally found out my surgery date (sept 27) and til this time comes I have decided to try and go back to work and get my mind off of it. But in the back of my mind I hope I don't lose my job over this. I went to work the other day and told them everything i know and they said was they would informed me that at this point they have to find out if our corp office in St Louis will let me have the time to take off for my surgery and the recovery time (which right now they said would take about 2 weeks. And until I find out all I can do is have faith everything will work out. Has anyone been through this nightmare before would love to know if worst comes to worst since i went back to work if i could get unemployment or even what i could do to help me be ok

• You won't qualify for unemployment, as you have to say your able to work. Now if you have the surgery would loose your job and can make it into a unemployment office and apply, the other thing is you do have to worry that your employer will fight the unemployment, saying you were not able to perform the job they had for you. I think the amount of time you are out will all depend on wether or not they will do that or not. Did you ask if they let you go and your better from surgery, will you be eligible for rehire? That might be something you want to find out. Hopefully they will understand the position you are in and work with you. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I agree with Tamtam that if you are ill/recovering from surgery and unable to work you don't qualify for unemployment. You may want to call your local Unemployment Office and talk to a case worker about your situation. Unemployment tends to lean towards granting unemployment. I've known people who were not eligible for leave resigning voluntarily and indicating in their resignation letter that they were doing so because they were denied a leave of absence. Sometimes the employer will include in a letter to an employee that the employee is resigning due to medical reasons and the employee may apply for a position when they are able.

Call HR to find out your options, and definitely check on what happens to your benefits - are they terminated immediately, end of the month, process for portability. Ask if they would challenge your unemployment.

Document any correspondence. Write down information, date, time, who talked to. If you have positive performance appraisals, make sure you have a copy as well as any recognitions. Get copies of any relevant policies. All of these can be helpful if you go to Unemployment.

It is unfortunate that you have to worry about your job situation as well as your health. I wish you the best.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • HI,
    I had to give up my unemployment when I was going for surgery as it's a catch 22, you're not physically able to work. However, as you are now employed, can you get short term disability until you go back to work? Before I became unemployed, I used that short term disability many (I'm sorry to say) times.
    Hope things work out for you!
  • I am fortunate that I am retired and don't have to work anymore and I am on social security disability. However I believe that it is disgusting that people have to choose between their job and their health. I think it is a disgrace.

I have however, lost two careers because of my back injuiries. It cost me my military Career and my career as a police officer.

Don't forget about FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act)- its worth a try.

PS, Our surgery dates are close- I am having a 360 ALIF/PLIF on Sept 21
  • I don't know what you do for a living, but I am in IT and can do my job remote. My company knew they had to try to accommodate me. After surgery, they let me work remote for a few weeks, then 3 days at office, 2 days at home for a few more. Then they did a full ergonomic assessment and got me set up with a great chair and stand or sit desk. During meetings, people knew I would have to stand. Now, I had to make sure I was delivering results but they had a responsibility to prove they were trying to accommodate my "disability". I was fortunate. I hope you have some of these options.