Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery date set..., Much info needed!!!!!

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have so far a date set for alif L5S1. It is for september 28th. #:S .
I guess what I need now is some great advice, and some honest stories of what I will run into after surgery. As many of you have read my posts, I have three children. The great part is that they are 13,11, and 8. They will be able to help!!! =D> =D> .

My worse fear is the pain, and also the worry of being depressed after. I do have my faith, thank god! I am so glad that I can come here, and everyone understands!!!!!! Thanks so much. >:D< >:D< >:D<

I do have another question, do any of you suffer from fibro? I am wondering if I will be able to know if the fibro will get worse after surgery.

• I had cervical, not L/S, so I can't help with that. I have fibro and have had a number of surgeries. Unfortunately, I have generally had fibro flares after surgeries. Make sure you check with your surgeon and rheumatologist (or other fibro doc) whether you need to come off any meds. that you're on, and if so, how long before and when can you go back on after. I also have depression, so make sure you and your family are aware of how you're doing...

I'm sure others can help you on the surgery side. Let us know how you're doing.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    just search the forums and you will find so many people that have positive and negative stories about their spinal surgery.

I am a firm believe that with a qualified surgeon, all spinal surgeries will be positive, its up to the patient to make sure it stays positive.

Here are some articles that you may find good reading:

Questions to Ask your Surgeon

All About Back Surgery

My simple steps of success:

1 - The surgeon does his/her work
    2 - You start your recovery, some with physical therapy, some with your own work
    3 - Making sure that you adhere to ALL the restrictions and limitations that the doctors have placed on you.
    4 - Work hard following all the exercises that you should be doing.
    5 - Work hard making sure you DONT do the wrong things.
    6 - Never give up, even when there is a bad day. It is so natural with any spinal surgery that you will have good days and some bad days.
    7 - Maintain a very positive outlook and attitude. Medicine can do its job, so much depends on how you handle things
    8 - Read, keep yourself informed as to procedures, medications, exercises, etc
    9 - Always adhere to your medication dosages. Even with your worst days, when you feel the need to take that extra pill, DONT, Instead talk this over with your doctor. Many times they will agree that you need to take another pill.
    10 - Communicate your feelings with your loved ones. Dealing with the post period of surgery is very hard. So many people think about what they need to do. No question that is a heavy load, but there is also a very heavy load on your loved ones. Your spouse or SO, your children, etc. They only see you in pain, they do not completely understand what you are going through. Make it a point to talk about it openly.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm glad you've got your surgery date - you can focus on all the things you need to do before 28th September.

Ron's advice is just the best - I couldn't have said it as well as he has.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I will be reading LOTS on here! I am also in the process of trying to figure out where I am getting all of my stomach pain from. I am in a lot of pain from that too. :T . It will work out somehow!!!!
  • Hi Heidi,

I had L5/S1 fused on march 28. The 28th must be a lucky day for that fusion!!

100% of what Ron said. Here are some things that helped me:

A safety bar in the tub (I have a tub/shower). A plastic stool to sit on while you are in the shower. A long handled grabber. A long handled shoe horn. I mostly wore clogs but wore my (former) running shoes for walking. I put elastic shoe laces in them. I also wore loose fitting elastic waist pants. Your incision will be tender and you don't want anything tight.

Anything you might need when family is not there have in a place where it is easy to reach.

Don't worry about socks or shaving your legs or toe nail polish. Those things will come in time!!

Start with short walks and build up. I would sit in my chair for an hour and then walk a few minutes and so on. As time progresses you will be able to walk further. Do not be surprised at how helpless you are at first. It will pass. Rest as much as you can. You must rest and be pain free to recover so take your pain meds.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions. And good luck.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.