Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my back surgery 2weeks ago today!

Kathleens-backKKathleens-back Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Lower Back Pain
Well all I can say is between the power of prayer and an amazing doctor and staff, I believe this is the most amazing thing that's ever happened to me!
I went in for a fusion of L3-L4-L5 and S1, 4-6 hour surgery. Well, 7 1/2 hours, 8 screws, 6 (I think) plates, 2 plastic discs, mine and synthetic bone and the loss of 1600cc of blood with 650cc recycled and returned to me, I would say, without a doubt, I would not hesitate to have this again!
I'm glad I'm one of the ones this seems to have worked on, I feel for the ones it hasn't.
I am able to walk without pain in my left foot and back, I'm getting feeling back in my left leg and only used a walker for 3 days in the hospital and one day home. I walk every day, gladly, I used to hare walking! The doctor said I was a poster child for this kind of surgery. I know I had my deceased parents with me, by my side. This is a surgery my father should have had but his health wasn't that great to get him through. I did this for him, then me.
I believe in the knowledge od my doctor and his staff, the power of prayer and my parents being with me.
Also, I had such a positive attitude going in, they asked If I was ok. I was not nervous and had no need to cry.
I don't know what else to say, I just want everyone to know my surgery wasn't as big, bad and scary as I believed it to be.
I hope everyone could have the experience I did.

• I'm really happy that you're doing so well at only 2 weeks out. I had the cell salvage machine, and didn't lose any blood.

Keep resting, walking and healing well, and let us know how you're going.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I am so glad to hear you are doing well after only two weeks. Walking helps alot, I did that after my second surgery and it helped mentally as well as physically with the healing... Keep up the great work and keep us posted
    I will be praying for you
  • Glad its working out for you. Good luck in full recovery and future pain free days to come. I am sure your father was with ya all the way looking down as i lost my dad also and i am sure he looking out for me also.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • So happy for you that you are doing so well! I'm sure your parents were there with you, and are so glad that you had this done.

I am sending you positive healing vibes, and wish for you a complete recovery and solid fusion!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thank you, everyone! I went to my p.t evaluation yesterday. He said I was in great shape!
    That being said, I did some of the stretching exercises he gave me and pulled a muscle down the right side of my back! Between ice and heat, I hope this goes away so I can continue my getting well!
  • sound like you have had a good result .i wish you a continued successful recovery ..don't overdo anything
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I'm so pleased to hear that your surgery has been successful. Do everything the surgeon advises - take heed of all the restrictions (if you have any) and don't overdo things (as Tony says before) - it's so easy to do 'that little bit more' when you're feeling painfree - but please be cautious when moving and try to avoid any bending, lifting or twisting for quite a few months if possible.

It's great to hear of a positive result from such a big surgery - it gives others (who are waiting for their surgery - Tony?) a little bit more encouragement.

Keep up the great recovery regime and like Scott - could you please pop in every now and again just to keep us updated with how you are progressing?

Take good care
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
This discussion has been closed.