Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Meditation? Anyone try it?

nurselynnaiennurselynnaie Posts: 167
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
So, last night in my misery, I was searching the web. I came across different types of meditation sites that are said to help with pain, stress and depression related to pain. Has anyone tried anyting like this?
I am ADHD so I am not sure how good I would be at it and I want to get some other information about it, before I go all gun hoe into it and it fail.

• Meditation cant hurt. Its simply a form of relaxation. Most that had chronic pain learned the hard way that some form of relaxing helps and is needed to keep the pain level down. If you start to stress the pain always gets worse. Its not a cure but is a step with many in the rignt direction.

So why worry if it fails? It cost nothing but time and once learned its used in dailey life to deal with situations with less stress that can make pain worse. So if it feels good. Do it!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    but was never really good at it. I downloaded a number of talks, music, chants, etc but just couldnt get into that state of mind.

I did however, have much better luck with some relaxation techniques incorporating aroma therapy and music relaxation.

I put myself in a dark room, selecting a specific aroma and putting on mood type music. It works really effectively during the time you are doing it
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • All meditation really boils down to is focusing on your breath. You can do this anywhere. Of course I quite environment is ideal, but the concept is to NOT focus on your pain. It's a great way to distract yourself from fixating on your pain and making it worse. It has helped me when my symptoms were at their worst. In my opinion, it's worth a try if you can get some relief!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Do not concern yourself with doing it right. There really is no correct way. For some it is easier to sit still longer but that does not mean they are better at meditating. A short amount of time to focus on relaxation is better than no time at all. I usually do not spend very long meditating. I have learned that anything that helps to lower the stress level be it aroma or music therapy (which could be considered meditation) is worth investing a little time doing. There are many books out there, one I liked is called 8 minute meditation.
  • I am going to try some types I think the aroma and music might work well for me. I know I will not be able to sit still long due to pain, but if anything helps it will be well worth it, considering the other night I was up yelling at my whole family at 1 am cuz the dishes werent done lol and telling them to move out afterwards I had a complete breakdown. Of course apologized the whole next day. I know it has to do with the pain, but the stress of not working, maybe never being able to work again, not being able to pick up my grandkids and hug them is all getting to me...
    Thanks for all the info
    I am def gonna try some if not all
  • I meditate every morning in the bathroom. When my girlfriend screams what are you doing in there i need to use the bathroom. I say hush i am meditating go away"
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I use visualization meditation techniques to relax. They're very easy, kind of like Happy Gilmore going to his "happy place" when he was about to get angry, lol. I was taught by my psychologist and psychiatrist for dealing with my ptsd and anxiety issues, but discovered the added benefit it had with my pain as well. You can google the term, and all sorts of sites will come up that you can read up on it. It might be a better option for you, to use in conjunction with the music and aroma therapies, as you don't necessarily have to sit still, and you are focussing on something that you enjoy, be it an activity, a memory, a place, whatever you want. You can also change your visualizations if you get bored with one. Anyway we can help our bodies and mind relax, will help with our pain and muscle spasms. Good luck, I hope you can find something that works for you.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Just to emphasis Numbskull's advice that you do not need to sit. You can do meditation in any position - sitting, standing or laying down. Do not restrict yourself! A lot of times, instructions on meditation say that you need to practice at the same time everyday. Forget that idea and do it when you can. I believe that any meditation is better than none. If you can only meditate for 5 minutes, it's better than not doing it. Hopefully you will find some relief from this! Good luck! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • never achieved the zen like status .there was a time when a very strange thing happen to me .in short..i went for a pee at 3am one night and felt a strange sharp pain in my pubic bone area .i thought o no what now ! but by the time i have got back to bed ..it had gone ..then i started to get a pulsing sensation in the same area and at first i was worried but then i felt very relaxed as the pulsing became overwhelming i could not move but the feeling was amazing {like an orgasm !but for a man it last about 5 seconds } this one lasted about 45 minutes then it went and i have never experienced it again .i did a full post on it when it happened it was about three years ago ..i saw something on a site that this can happen to spine patients post op .i wish i could turn that feeling on at will as i was feeling no pain just a wonderful feeling {and the strange thing was it was not sexual in any way}{but i suppose that was as near to meditation as i have ever been . tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Try Yoga and meditate while doing it if you want. Since yoga expresses being in the moment and blocking out all the other garbage. I've found that, while somewhat painful doing it, yoga has removed most of my hip/leg and lower back pain. In fact that night or the next day I sometime have no pain for a while.
This discussion has been closed.