Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy / Discectomy 9-12-11

Calico1983CCalico1983 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm getting ready to have this surgery in about 3 weeks. I'm currently doing 6 weeks of physical therapy to get my lower back and abs into the best shape I can within the time frame to hopefully help during my recovery. Has anyone had this surgery recently? I'm looking for any kind of tips that I can get. I'm super nervous. I bought myself an XBox to keep me occupied when I'm recovering :) I know thats cheesy, but I'm hoping it will help. HELP!

• I haven't had this surgery, but I am scheduled for almost the same surgery on the same day, plus removing the hardware from my fusion.

I am nervous also!

What I have learned thru all of my surgeries is that no matter what you are told after recovery, do cont to protect your spine!

After my first, I was told I could do anything! Wrong! I wish I would have protected my spine more during the early years.....but hind sight, huh!

We'll be able to support each other during our recovery! We spineys have to stick together!

Wishing you the very best!
  • Welcome to spine health! You have come to the right place. It is full of wonderful, caring, informative members that have been a wonderful help to me.

What level(s) are your discectomy/laminectomy? I had the same surgery 6 weeks ago on L4-S1. I agree with Jayhwawk about doing everything you can to protect your spine and don't do any BLT, walk as much as you can with frequent breaks in between. Start off slow and build up there.

I am still trying to recover, hopefully you will have improvement straight away after surgery, but don't be discouraged as sometimes it takes time.How long have you been suffering with your back pain? Try to have often needed items at the right height to reach without bending, a grabber and toilet seat riser are also good things to have. Practice log rolling out of bed, its a good practice to keep, even after you are healed.

Wishing you all the best! Please keep us updated leading up to and after surgery.

>:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Good on you for getting yourself into the best physical shape before your surgery. It will help your recovery.

Get all your meals cooked and frozen beforehand because you won't feel like cooking for quite a while.

It's very natural to be nervous, so do as much as you can now to distract yourself - visit friends or have them over for a meal, go to the cinema, treat yourself to something nice, etc.

Hoping all goes well for you on Sept 12th.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008