Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I alone?

tkdanttkdan Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Pain Management
Am I the only person that is so tired of relying on meds just to be able to function?
Am I the only one that will try to take less pain med only to regret it later in the day?
Am I the only one to get down and depressed due to non-stop pain?
Am I the only one that feels overwelmed at times with normal daily activities, and responsibilities?
Am I just feeling sorry for myself, or do most pain patients go through this from time to time?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    You are just thousands like others here.
    The words and feelings and actions are almost the same with all.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I think every chronic pain patient goes through this from time to time. I always find it harder to deal with when the pain is extremely high or I have done something and paying the following day. When I say did something it could have been as simple as make a nice meal or went to dinner and thing why did I do that to cause this? That is where you have to find the balance to do things when the pain is some what controlled and then understand your going to spend the next day resting from those small activities. But should you not do or try those things, the depression would be far greater. So when you except your going to have to rest and can't go go like others, while yes it is depressing, it something you have to come to terms with. It takes many years to get to that point, and still we all get depressed over it.
  • HI,
    Gee, I think TamTam hit the nail right on the head!
    It is indeed a balancing act, of what you can do, and for how long, before it causes more pain. And I think chronic pain and depression go hand in hand...so you are not alone...
    After my lumbar surgeries, my dr sent me to chronic pain management at a local rehab hospital. The OT taught me little tricks on how to move and bend to make things easier, etc Another therapist taught me biofeedback and the art of relaxation, and then there was the shrink...who probably helped me as much as all the others, for letting me come to terms with how life was now going to be.. Accepting a less than perfect body is not an easy thing to do...we keep hoping it will get better...
    I consider myself lucky that medical help is there when I need it, and that my life, though not as active as it was before, is still satisfying. I take pain meds as needed, sleep meds and anti-depressants, which by the way, help with chronic pain.
    Know that you are not alone in you physical being or in your mental state...we on this site all share some common things, and those are indeed some.. If you need to talk or vent or get info, you sure have come to the right place!
    I hope you feel better soon, and can enjoy the life that is still yours,...just different now..
  • most long term pain patients ask themselves the same questions at some point in there lives .pain is very hard to live with but with decent pain killers most pain can be controlled .i know we don't like taking pain killers and yes i too have tried to stop taking them only to regret it the day after {i even flushed a full strip of Oxycontin down the toilet because i was mad at it !!} how mad am i not as mad as my doctor was when i asked him for some more ! they cost a fortune {15 pounds each for the 80mg tablet}anyway don't beat yourself up try to treat yourself to something .a cd/dvd even a bar of your favorite chocolate anything just to give yourself a bit of a life .living with pain takes a very strong person to cope with it so pat yourself on the back because you have had the presence of mind to post on here rather than do something irrational that you may regret
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Thanks for the replies. Sunday I was feeling pretty good so I threw football with my son, and yesterday paid the price. That is the most frustrating part. I do not want to quit doing the things with my kids that meant so much to me as a kid. My fondest memories with my dad are from simple father son activities, like throwing a football or baseball. This makes me feel so inadequate at times.