Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

is this something to worry about?

snookiessnookie Posts: 359
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
For the past few days I have been having a bit of incontinence, it's not that I can't control my bladder, it is just that I'll be at work or at home, and suddenly realize that I am a bit wet (god this is hard, I am so embarassed). I am young, 31 tomorrow, so it shouldn't be age. I do have lumbar issues (annular tear at L4/L5 and a transitional L5). I did have a hysterectomy (non invasive)almost 9 years ago. Is this reason enough to go see the Dr? I know we can't give medical advise, I am just wondering if this is normal? Thanks

• Snookie,

When this first started happening with me, it was only when I coughed or sneezed. I am almost 49, and it started 7 months ago (no kids). According to my GP in the beginning of it, I was told this 'stuff' can happen in women 30 and above, but more towards my age.

If it is happening without a cough or sneeze (added force if you will), it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check with your GP to start. I wouldn't freak yet. It can be as simple as an exercise to strengthen the muscles down there.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi ya Megan;

I do know that women who have had kids are susceptible to the "little leaks" but it's still something that you should definitely tell your doc about, especially if it could be something to do with your lower back. Don't be embarrassed! To be perfectly honest, last week when my lower back was really bad with pain, I was having the same problems, except once was a full blown loss of control, not just a little leak. Thankfully, I was at home! I haven't had any problems so far this week, but I am going to be talking to my doc about this soonest myself, especially since I've never had kids myself. A few of my friends who are moms have had the leakage problem, and there's actually a little operation that can fix that up, if that is the case and not your lower back. Either way, get it checked out!

Hope you're doing okay otherwise, miss talking with ya!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • an infection [nothing sexual] just a UTI have a test at your doctors .
    tony {uk}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I would suggest that you call you spine doctor and leave a message with the nurse. They can discuss the issue with you doctor and then decide if they need to see you sooner rather than later. I would also share it with your pcp they may want to test you for infection etc.

I would be worried about my spinal cord. I have lost control of my bladder 2 times in the last few months and my NS knows about it. Both times I simply stood up (I felt no urge it just dribbled out). I try to pee all the time and rarely empty my bladder - thought to be a combo of the pain meds and the cord compression.

• Please let your Dr. know. You need to be examined and have the usual urine tests and your Dr. may order an MRI. You have to be careful with spine issues and any urinary issues. Its nothing to be embarrassed about.

I had leaking after ESIs and my Pain Dr. told me that's normal but I still told my Dr. about it. But I was reaching the other day and had leaking also and will tell my Dr. about this because of my spinal history.

Not to alarm you but search in the blue box above for cauda equine. It may well be a Gyne issue or UTI or spinal issue. Please see your Dr. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It could be related to nerve impingement but first you'll want your GP to rule out regular "woman" issues. Especially if you've had children, this is not uncommon.

- Kegal exercises can help
    - Medication if it's a UTI type related issue
    - Surgery (yes, I happen to know from a relative that there is a surgery to reduce this incontinence).

However, knowing you have back issues, I would also contact your spine doctor as a precaution.

• It might be nothing serious, but it would be advisable to let your doctor know, so that they can decide whether it needs investigating or not.

I have always been told that, with my spine issues, if ever I have any problems with bladder or bowel, I should contact a doctor straight away.

If it is serious, you need to be seen quickly as there is a much better chance of solving it if it is dealt with immediately.

Hope that you find that it is only a minor and unimportant issue.

• Hi I would absolutely let your doctor know. There are many things that it could be, esp when you have lumbar issues or like Tony said UTI .. many things. I have not had the incontinence yet, notice I say yet... just turned 39 yesterday lol . I know it is coming because due to my lumbar area I have horrible bladder spasms often ....Drive me nuts. My friend was in her mid 20's after having kids she couldnt laugh sneeze or cough with out wetting lol .. Please have it checked out some ppl get UTI's and do not even know it until they end up in patient for being septic... better to be safe then sorry ...Stay dry:)
  • Thanks all, I tried my Dr today and I was so busy at work this morning I couldn't call until this afternoon and forgot that they close at noon on Wednesdays's. No burning or increased frquency in having to go so I don't think it's a UTI, unless they can happen without those (hopefully). I know when they did the hysterectomy they had to reattach the bladder, so it could be something with that. I really hope it's nothing with my back!!

Know what happened yesterday? I was standing outside having a smoke and I felt something land on my upper arm, I brushed it off and it was a yellow jacket, stung me in the armpit!! I am all swollen and red and itchy. This is the worst year I remember for wasps. It is my birthday today, the last time I was stung on my birthday I was 14 was campming and took a drink of Coke and there was a wasp inside. Stung the inside of my lip and it swelled right up.

Kelly, I have missed you too (and many others). This is such a bad time of year, construction season so I am selling a lot, and I am so tired when I come home. I hate to say it, but I am almost looking forward to when the snow flies. It has been 28-33 degrees C almost everyday, which doesn't help.

Again thanks everyone, I will call tomorrow and get in to my family Dr (Julie I don't have a spine Dr, none in town and WCB won't refer me).
  • My internet has been down for a few days, saw the Dr Friday morning. He said that he is sure that it is from the hyserectomy since they did a lot of resturcing. So I am doing kegals everyday, i really hope that's why and that this will put an end to it! At work it really sucks, I run a 2 person branch and we deliver so a lot of the time I am by myself, to make matters worse all we have is a port-a-potty at work. I avoid that as much as possible (mayve that is part of the problem - me holding it). Anyways, thanks all.
  • Just wondered if you had mesh repair? On FDA website for July there was a recall of mesh for certain procedures that is causing complications. I have the link if you had mesh repair. I can't believe you don't have a proper washroom at work! I hope things resolve with the exercises. Char
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am not sure Charry, I didn't get get the details of the operation, my dr at the time was avoiding me since I had been going to him constantly, every month, for 2 years and he kept saying that nothing was wrong. I was lucky and a Dr in Calgary, who I was referred to for a differnt reason beleived me. I was 20-22 and no one thought that anything could be wrong. I do know that they did screw up on the operation notes, I bleed heavily during the surgery and they packed me with guaze, and no notes were made about it. 2 days after when I complained about feeling something the nurse pulled it out (ouch!!!) and she was mad that there wasn't any notes on the chart. I have changed Dr's since I had the surgery, hopefully if a mesh was used that would be in the notes (my previous Dr has passed away and my care was not great before so I am not expecting it to be). If you could send me the link I would be grateful.

It really sucks at work only having a port-a-potti, I tend to not go at work and drive home when I can. The unhealthy part is that I don't drink as much water as I should since I don't want to have to go for 9 hours a day (I never know if I will get lunch)
This discussion has been closed.