Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD< Prolapsed disc, nerve damage in spine and pregnancy!

Hi all,

I have just found this forum after using google and was wondering if I may ask some advice.

I have DDD, a prolapsed disc, a bulging disc, burstitus, nerve damage, sciatica and hypersensitivity in my spine. I am currently 6 months pregnant with my 2nd child. (Did not have all these problems to the same extent with my first!)

My first child was delivered naturally but made my back conditions worse and I currently take gabapentin, paracetamol and dihydrocodeine. Physios wont touch me and havent for years as they are scared to make me worse.

I have no feeling in my feet permenantly and havent for a coupld of years now, the pain clinic are trying to find a surgery option for me but cant do it while im pregnant or for a year after the birth.

My question is what to do about labour. the antenatal clinic(midwife) is saying I should give birth naturally, but obviously I ma extremly hesitant about this given that I am still taking all my medication and the amount of pain I am in, I use crutches to walk about and fall over on a regular basis. I was told by the pain clinic before I fell pregnant that I would be having a c-section as there is no way I would be able to push a baby out without causing further damage, how do I get my consultant and midwife to agree to this? am really worried about it now and am struggling to find answers, so any advice or help would be gratefully received.
advertisement

Comments

• I think you need to see a high risk Obstetrician for better advice on taking medications and delivery options. If the OB Dr. thinks you would damage your back more you can have a c-section if necessary. I worked at a high risk OB hospital and you need expert advice by your OB Dr. Your family or Primary Dr. can help you find a high risk OB Dr. or see if there's a Specialty care Womens hospital and go there to find a Dr.

Where I worked if a pregnant woman had issues she would be referred through the ER dept. to an OB Dr. who can help with your issues. A Neurologist may be better able to help with taking certain medications while pregnant. A Pain Management Dr. can give certain nerve blocks to help while you're pregnant if they feel it's necessary. Have you tried a wlker to get around.

Take care and keep us posted how you're doing. I hope you find the answers from a Specialty OB Dr. as we're only fellow spine members here. I hope the delivery goes well and you find some pain relief. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN