Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question I would love to have answered

hollywoodhhollywood Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hey guys

well here last wed I went back to work til my surgery date, and right now my pain levels to me are really small which always happens to me and then in a couple months it hits me really hard that why i am getting the surgery still. And since I went back to work I get my health insurance back sept 1 which really helps and now work is in the process of trying to get our corp. office give me time to have my surgery and heal which is a plus (I filled paper work out and so is my surgeron, so I guess this is good. Buts anyways to my question I got a phone call today from my dr's office and they informed me that on sept 8 I have to go for testing to get approved for my surgery (alif and plif L4-5) and I have to be there at 6:30am my question is what type of test do they do and has anyone every not been approved for this also why do they do the test they do the test the do...would love to hear ur guys comments on this please reply :)

• Are you talking about pre-surgery?

The usual is a EKG (quick heart test), blood test, and then you get weighed and talk to a nurse. She/he tells you not to eat, how to prepare, asks about allergies etc. Might discuss the bowel prep (aweful thing your surgeon will probably have you drink causing you to void any thing in your bowels) real fun stuff :)

I imagine they will have you pre-register at the hospital as well (mine did both on the same day). Once I had to have another CT scan right before.

I am glad everything is working out for you. I have heard the same thing from so many spiney (and myself) we always seem to start feeling better before surgery).

Good Luck,

• It's great that your pain levels are low right now. If you give your doctor's office they can tell you what you're being tested for and why. I guess you've already had an MRI? Maybe it's an EMG? In addition, you usually have to have an EKG and blood tests. Good luck with everything.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Holly,

My pre-surgery testing was pretty easy. EKG as mentioned above, chest x-ray, some blood work. Some will have you donate blood in case of loss of blood during surgery. Oh also the usual blood pressure, temperature. The also insured I knew the procedures being performed and whom was doing the surgery, just confirming the orders is all. Went over what I needed for the hospital and the time i would spend. In addition gave me brochures as what to do when arrived and where my family should be and how they will know what is going on in surgery. So really just a good run down of the hospital procedures.