Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-L5 16 days post op sudden pain

beaverislanderbbeaverislander Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
L4-L5 microlaminectomy post op.
I have had excellent results post-op and feel very fortunate. I was walking 1.4 to 2.5 miles a day pain free, and feeling great. Yesterday while showering I must have bent or twisted to much and had very sudden, excrutiating pain in this area of my back. I was unable to stand straight up. Needless to say, it scared me! It took 1.5 Percocet 10/325 before I could see any relief. I repeated that dose two more times over the course of the day, and a Flexeril before going to bed. This morning I am much better, but still kind of sore. I only walked about 200 yards before turning back. What did I do? Can you be in that much pain and have it go away the next day without having done any permanent damage? I feel like my progress was suddenly cut back by about 10 days.
Of course my surgeon was on vacation when I called, so I am left wondering what happened. Any help would be appreciated. (By the way, I have my first post op check-up with him next Tuesday.)

• Take it easy, it is not uncommon to have minor set backs post surgery. Stay up and your walking, but most of all watch your BLT. It is imperative that you follow those instructions. If you have done something the doctor will be able to tell on Tuesday, but sense the pain has gone down some, maybe nothing to serious and just some soreness left. I would stay up on the meds today to a degree and flexeril as it could be muscular in nature. If your feeling up to be sure to get some walking in today. Sounds like you were doing really well, and sometimes we get a false sense of security that we are okay.

Welcome to spine-health, look at some other threads and you will find others with the same issues, and see how they are handling the surgery.
  • I just walked my 1.4 mile route. I made it, but I sure feel a lot weaker than I did just 2 days ago. I guess the good news is just my legs are tired and sore but no back pain afterwards. I can live with that but it feels like I lost a good week of progress during this little episode. Oh well, one step backward and two FORWARD....