Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pregnancy and disc issues

I am 26 yrs old and I am currently trying to make one of the biggest decisions of my life. I have recently found out that I am pregnant about 7 weeks. I have had some issues with L4-L5-S1 Disc protrusion. I have two wonderful children age 2 and 4 and just over a year ago I was in a car accident and did something to my SI joint. I have an MRI Scheduled in a couple of weeks. As you can see this pregnancy was not planned. I have spoke with my pharmacist and I am having my meds slowly changed over which nver really gave much relief. I may have some possible nerve irritation either in my back or around my SI joint, I do have pain down my right leg and into my foot, I have been going to physio for over a year now and not much has changed, even the depression has gotten worse.

My husband and I are very concerned about my physical health we are a very active family and have been trying to get back to that lifestyle since the accident. We want to know how many risks there are if we continue with the pregnancy, if I will become physically disabled permantly? if the child will have birth defects from the meds i am currently taking? I am so scared but I so badly want to keep this baby. Neither my husband or I agree with abortion but I have two children to tend to now and I don't want to be a burden on my husband. How bad can things get for my back and my pain? I am so confused and he has said he doesn't want anyone to know anything right now. Also I am still dealing with my insurance company due to the accident. Are they going to stop helping get better if they know I am pregnant? Please someone help me!!

• Your insurance will cover you while pregnant and there have been many women with back issues continue their pregnancies on different meds. You need to find a high risk Obstetrics Dr. usually found at a Women's Hospital. You Dr. can refer you or you can hook up with them through the ER during the day.

You can continue water aqua therapy with a Physiotherapist and water therapy is very therapeutic but first check with a high risk OBS Dr. okay?

Find a high risk Obs Dr. they will be able to help you carry this through and will let you know any risks. I worked at a Womens High Risk ER but not in the States. There are Specialty Drs to help you with medication and therapy choices. Best wishes and follow your heart. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Outdoor Mama (sorry i do not know the real name), we are exactly in the same situation as you were a year ago. My wife is having extreme back pain running down legs and to the feet for the last 6 months. We found that she is pregnenat and is now approximately 9 weeks. We dont know exact problem what causing the pain, as we were asked to go for MRI scan, which she (my wife) can not go through at the moment because of pg. She is under extreme pain and stopped functioning of day to day duties by almost 80%. We are thinking of going for abortion and it has become a extremely difficult descision to take. Since you went through this situation before, may i know if it worth to continue pg and suffer the consequences later on. At present we dont know whhat exactly the situation would be as the pg progresses. It would be greatly appreciated if you could let us know your experience and your situation after the delivery. It would be very much appreciated. We value your opinion. Thanks a lot in advance.