Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did I screw something up?

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
I just finished a round of Medrol, but I'm still having a lot of pain, so I don't think it helped.

Tonight, I decided to join my hubby outside with the kids at our neighbors swingset. It was a bit windy from the hurricane having passed through, but the wind had died down quite a bit and it was nice and cool out compared to the normal temperature at this time of year. In any case, I was pushing the kids on the swing and all of a sudden I felt this pain/shock feeling in the area that has been hurting to begin with. It was a terrible feeling and literally made me nauseated. At that point I told my hubby it was time for us to head home, and I took my pain meds. The meds have helped but now I'm very groggy. I'm hoping it was just a wrong move and tomorrow I'll feel better. If not, should I call my doctor and tell them? I feel like I'm constantly calling them for one thing or another, and I hate to be a pain. Maybe I'll just let it go until my appt with the PM doc on Tuesday. Ugh, how the heck do you hurt yourself pushing a child on a swing??? In all fairness, I was actually pushing 3 kids on 3 different swings. One of the kids got off and pushed the swing, and it almost hit my daughter, so I jumped to the side to stop it from hitting her. That is when I felt that shock go through my mid-back. Not a pleasant feeling...NOT pleasant at all.

• Kim,

With all the pain you have been in, not being able to stand more than 10 minutes and so forth, there is noway I would of risked, standing long enough to being push kids on swings, let alone be pushing them in the first place. I am sure the back and forth from one to the next swing to push them did no good either. So it sounds as though you had made positive steps from last week and now have set backs, which many of us have paid that price. But with all the set backs you have had, you need to let your body rest and heal. I wouldn't call the doctor as the amount of pain you have been in and telling them, they might ask or think the same thing as I stated above. I would just wait till your appointment till Tuesday and see what is up.
  • I guess I didn't think it would do any harm. When I talked to the doctor and NP last week and asked them what my restrictions our, they still said no bending or twisting, but as far as lifting they said to start with 10 lbs and add 5 lbs per week until I am feeling comfortable. It didn't seem like the simple task of pushing a child on a swing would be too risky. Initially it was just my girls, but then the neighbors kids came out and wanted to be pushed too. I would have been fine had I not dove to catch the swing so it didn't hit my 3-year old. In any case, I woke up feeling okay this morning. The meds worked last night, so we'll see how I feel once I'm up and going.
  • Glad to hear you're feeling better. I think weight restrictions include pushing a swing and not to extend your body too far. I hope everything is alright and hope you continue to heal completely. Hugs. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks! I'm feeling better this morning...just very groggy. Luckily my 10-year old and his friend are going to take the girls outside to play on the swingset, which should give me a little time to rest. I can't believe how tired the meds make me. They definitely help but they linger for so long. When I take them before bed, it ruins the next day for me, because I'm so drowsy. Am I just a lightweight or do you actually get used to this? I guess for as infrequently as I take them, it's just a side effect I'm going to have to deal with when the pain is bad.
  • All medications will have side effects and being tired is a huge one. I am guessing sense you use them infrequent, you have not built a tolerance to the side effects yet. Before this injury started even a Tylenol would put me to sleep like a baby, but that is not the case any longer. My body has build up a tolerance to all the meds, but the pain actually breaks through them while I sleep, so I am up and down all night long. Getting 6 hours of sleep takes about 10 hours to do it. So good thing if your sleeping through the night with the meds, count your blessings. Good to hear the pain has not returned today.
  • Pushing, jumping and diving are activities that are best avoided by someone barely a month after surgery. Glad you are feeling better.

• I think I'll be having my cup of coffee soon. Maybe that will help. Starting to have some pain, but it's my usual pain that I feel every day. I just finished up the oral steroids yesterday, and they didn't help at all. I meet with the PM doc tomorrow to discuss the epidural injection. This time I am going to try all three, in hopes that it'll help. I really don't want to have surgery, and I'm going to do everything in my power to avoid it.
This discussion has been closed.