Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Showers.... UGGG

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
When did the simple act of bathing become such a chore? I used to love to soak in the tub, but that all changed after the first fussion. Rarely will I use the tub, unless it is a oversized jetted tub (on my list along with the motorhome one day).

So showers have been the primary source of personal hygene. Sadly I am now down to every other day or so and sometimes it can end up being 3 days (not proud of that). I am thinking about a shower chair (shamefully) but I don't want to alarm my family and further than they are already alarmed. I might get a stylish wooden one and move it in and out of the tub -they might not know what it is and think it's a bench :)

Going back to the spoon theory, the shower uses up a lot of spoons.... Then I have to dry and style my hair (need to cut it short or perm it again)..... I have about 5 spoons left and need to gather my strength to finish my day of work (from home TG) and make a trip to the market (run erramds etc).

I may just wait for my daughter to get home from school so she can drive me to the store/errands. I took my meds and I know I am going to get a little groggy for about an hour so this might work out.

Tomorrow not a shower day :) extra spoons! I am sure I will use them up by the end of the day and then some. Some how that happens a lot.

Clean again at least (for now) :D

• It's hard taking a shower or bath when one has pain and especially having to stand for a few minutes can be difficult. I think a bath chair is a good idea, I really need to get one also.

What used to be so easy to do is a real chore now. I used to bathe daily what the heck is going on? I thought I was depressed or something but think I use too many spoons even if I don't do much already.

I think it's worse taking meds also and the hot weather really we should be doing the quick wash with cloths everyday but ideally a shower. I'm looking forward to going back to aquafit so I can get the shower in the same time as the exercise then it's only one spoon? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I can so relate to you with the idea of getting ready in the morning and the spoon theory. Gone are the days when I could pop up in the morning bright and early, shower and get ready for work for my 7 am shift.(off work now) Ugg. Now I think I would have to get up at 3 am, as I need to get up so slowly, get meds and coffee and then boom, 1 or 2 spoons are already gone.

Then need to sit in recliner for good 45 minutes to let meds (and coffee ;) ) kick in. Then by the time I gear up and get ready, in and out of shower and dressed, gotta sit back down for a bit then dry hair and finish getting ready.Loose a few more spoons.Climb back in recliner.My day doesn't really "begin" for 3 hours

Have to admit though, when I am in shower the hot water feels so nice and relaxing. Unfortunately, lose all the benefit of it with the getting in and out and dressing.

No shame in a shower chair, I have been thinking of getting one as well.

Hope you have a relaxing evening and regain some spoons.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I have the same issues with the shower... it's a hard task with just one arm, on top of the pain, and so exhausting. I can't tell you how many times I've fallen asleep as soon as I've finished showering and getting dressed. By the time I've dried off (which is never really dry, kinda hard to do that with one arm as well) I'm dripping sweat and need another shower. I usually have to go back to my bedroom and lay down for a few minutes. I have a little fan on my bedside table that I keep directed on me while dressing or taking a break. Don't even get me started about dressing and trying to get my bra done up and getting the girls put away, lol. I'm very thankful for my short hair (think Halle Berry's short hair style). All I do is towel dry (somewhat, lol) and put some sculpting cream in it. I have no advice for you except take it slow and easy!

As for the chair, when I had my leg surgery a few years ago, I actually had an old claw foot tub in my house I had at the time (a century home). I knew ahead of time that there was no way I'd be able to lift my leg over the side of the tub after surgery, so I just bought a little plastic step stool, it's level with the top of any tub. I just sit on it and swing my legs over the top of the tub, much easier. I still have it, and use it now in the shower if I need to. There's absolutely no shame in using tools that make our days and completing daily tasks easier!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    We always take personal hygiene as some we have always done on a normal day to day basis.

True, but after surgery and for many a long time after surgery this all becomes a struggle.

The 'taking' away of a spoon as Julie indicated is a perfect way in describing just how much of a chore the simple things about showering, doing your her, getting dressed has become a big task.

Most recently, I can relate due to having both shoulders replaced last year. At first I couldn't shower myself, then slowly graduated to using one of those long (24") handles with a sponge on the end to reach places that I could no longer reach. Then, I needed help drying and dressing.

Talking about personal hygiene, I dont think I need to detail, but just using the toilet can be a major problem. I had purchased one of these 'bottom buddies' to help in that area. I found that along with many other daily devices that help folks with arthritis (still would apply to anyone who is impacted because of surgery or chronic pain)

Some days, I just dream about that spoon that I had to use up. Just maybe if that spoon was a bit larger.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I replaced my bath tub before i had my 1 st surgery with bath tub with the jets because i had a feeling once i have surgery this is going to be a must have. And i was rite. To take a shower i would have to stand in the bath tub and if legs are weak and you lose balance and fall, it can be a very serious injury falling in a bathroom.

I am happy i was smart enough before my surgery to install this tub because i no longer take showers. But i take a bath 2 times a day just because the jets help break up some of the stifness and leg pain before starting the day of pain . Without it i cant even function in the morning.

Its not easy geting in and out of the tub but once you are in you at least know you are safe to relax. I installed many of the handles to hold on to for other people when i was still working . So you have to put in all the safety hardware to prevent falling in the shower area.

There are many people that get injured falling in the bathroom and even death because the structures around you, sink, toilet, bathtub. Your head hits any of these hard objects and it can be serious.

Make your shower area bath area dissabled proof! Any home depo, menards, or any home building suply store will have them. They are not expensive and i am sure a friend or someone you know that is handy around fixing things will be happy to install it for you.

Beter yet hire someone to make sure its installed right lol. Because if they put it up just for looks then when you grab that sucker, it will just come off in your hands if its not installed the right way.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I am so lucky to have a shower with a built in seat! So nice to sit and let the hot water hit me, esp when I wake up and get ready for work! It came as a one piece unit.

I would prob. have a shower chair without it!
  • Built-in scooby, that's sounds awesome!

Alex, one of the selling points on the house I just bought is that it has a jacuzzi tub, lol. 3 more weeks and it's all mine, woohoo! I can't wait. I used to have one in my 1st house, and have missed it ever since!

Showers - my dream shower would be one as big as Tony described, all mosaic tile, built in seat like scooby's and the jets down the walls to hit all sides! Heaven...

My parents just had friends down for dinner the other night for my step-dad's birthday. Oddly enough, I used to work with their son and was on tour with him as well. They are both hilarious people, tell the best stories. They had just come back from a trip to France, and she was telling us about the bidet they had in their room, and had us in fits of laughter at the restaurant, everyone was staring at us. Anyways, after her account of using a bidet, I think I'd add one of those to my dream bathroom too, that and one of those toilet seats that automatically close ;) lol
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • advice removed
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Good Luck with the new place numbskull and I wish you many relaxing baths ahead in the jacuzzi tub.

Bathroom safety is a serious issue. As a nurse I have many Patient's who have had bathroom falls. It is always ok to use whatever helps. The steps to help get in and out of shower and bath are a great idea!A non skid mat can help with slips. I could not get my day started without the hot water. !!!!
This discussion has been closed.