Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In need of some advice

nowasober1nnowasober1 Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello all,
I am farily new to this site and I need some advice. I have been having cronic back pain for the last 5 years but in the last year it has gotten really bad, I had a bone density scan that showed I was austeopenia, and that I had a compressed fracture between L4L5andS1. My surgeon I saw about six months at that time did not think surgery was a good idea as my bones were week. He asked me to see and Endrdoconologist, working on getting my calcium levels up and stay in touch with him. I have done all those things and have been to see him every month. My last visit, my bloodwork looked good and I am scheduled for a bone density scan for next week. Right now I am scheduled for a 2 teir surgery and that is providing the bone scan looks good. I am nervous if this is the right thing to do. I am 52 years old with issues like depression and arthritus. If the surgery does not happen he mentioned a spine stimulator? Anyway I am looking for any suggestions, am I doing the right thing? Thanks for all your help! Michelle

• Maybe a second opinion from another Orthosurgeon or Neurosurgeon will help you decide to have surgery. Did the fracture heal correctly or did it break and heal or chip? Ask your Surgeon if you waited longer for surgery is there more chance of nerve compression.

Also look up in the blue box above questions to ask your surgeon before surgery and check out the post-op must have list. I hope your surgery goes well after the bone density test. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanky ou Charry for your help. I may go and get a 2nd opinion. Did you end up with screws, in your back? Does it cause you any discomfort? Thanks again for your help. Michelle
This discussion has been closed.