Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having 2 level ACDF

hopetogetwellhhopetogetwell Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Everyone~

I found this site a week ago and after reading some posts, I started to feel less lonely and hopeful.

I hope I'm in the right message board as most of this unbearable and unrelenting pain is thoracic. My disk bulge is C5-6 along with annular tears in C6-7. I get sporadic neck aches. My story is probably like so many others, but I've seen 6 different doctors and several different physical therapists. Have had PT, MT, Dry Needling, Acupuncture, every injection known to man and on and on. Most of the physiatrists I saw just wanted to keep me on pain meds which don't even take my pain away. Now, after 21 months of this....I have a huge tolerance to the pain meds, which makes me really uneasy. Okay, cut to now.....I saw a neurosurgeon last week who is convinced ACDF will be the answer. Hallelujah! Some hope after 21 months of pain!

My surgery is scheduled for September 13 and I won't have my Q/A until this coming Wednesday. I live alone and am anxious about getting things in advance that might make life easier during recovery and getting the house ready. A neighbor check in on me from time to time, but that's probably it. I became very withdrawn and managed to dissolve most of my relationships during 21 months of suffering, so I really won't have any help.

Do anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare? I've read a lot on this site about people using recliners. Although I don't have one, I'm sure I can rent one if that's the most comfortable position. Also, will i be able to walk my dog? Reach over head, etc?

Thanks very much for your help!!


  • I haven't had cervical surgery, but understand the pains of cervical problems.

    Hopefully your surgery (ACDF) will solve your problems and get you comfortable again. How many levels will you have fused?

    Have you seen the list of useful items for after surgery? It is at the top of the Back and Neck Surgery page. If you can't find it, let me know and I will help you. There are an awful lot of items on the list. Don't be overwhelmed by it, quite a few of the items are intended for lumbar surgery patients.

    You will definately need bendy straws, lots of pillows, a grabber to pick things up. People also seem to say that they need button up pjs and clothes because they can't put things over their head. I think reaching over the head is difficult at first.

    Hopefully others who have experienced this surgery will come and share their experiences and limitations.

    I think you will be glad that you found this site and will find the information and support that you receive here will really help.


  • Thanks so much for your kind reply, Jellyhall~
  • My name is Sandy and I'm a married female - 47 living near Orlando. I had a 3 level ACDF on 8/29/11. I was scared beyond belief!!! even right before they put stuff in my IV before wheeling me in the neurosurgeon said we can put this off, are you sure? I said yes, I got this far, lets get it done! Now I'm 9 days post op and feel sooooo much better. I want to dance (but know I cannot).

    For me, the most incredible help - go to craigslist in your area and find a used hospital bed and mattress. We found one in Orlando for $100. I'm sure we can resell it when I'm done. So many people told me it was #1 thing to help get thru first few days. I 100% agree. It will make getting up and down so much easier. I was on morphene 4 mg every 4 hrs and heavy muscle relaxants. Very out of it, and slept so much my first week. And make sure you have 1 or 2 heating pads and ice packs! You can't cook, clean, lift or bend and of course drive. So it would definitely help to have someone help you out just a bit.

    Hang in there. I am amazed how good I feel. Tell me what happened to you and I'll tell you my story.

    Sandy in orlando.
  • Hi Sandy,

    Thank you SO much for your message! I'm very happy to hear that you are doing so well; wow! I wish so much that I could do all the things that you so kindly recommended, but I don't see how. I live in a tiny townhome with extremely heavy bedroom furniture that I wouldn't be able to move. And....I just don't have anyone to help. I'm going to speak with the surgeon tomorrow and see if I can stay in the hospital for a couple of days after the surgery. Or maybe three days? What do you think?

    How long before you can cook, lift, bend? Aren't you glad you went through with it?! I'm sure I will be happy too.

    I actually don't know what happened to me. I've been super active here in Colorado and fit for many years. I'm 42, never been married,5'2", 105 lbs...never been injured. One day in January 2010, I was in a yoga class and felt the pain for the first time. It got progessively worse and I got progressively withdrawn from everyone/everything. Sitting is the worst for me and one day last Spring, (March 12) I thought if I just got up into the mountains, breath some fresh air and take a few turns on my skis, my outlook on life would improve. Well, it didn't. I took a nasty fall and tore my ACL. I had that surgery May 5. Looking back, I wish I would have waited, but no dr. at that time gave me a surgical option for my neck/back pain so I didn't have the idea in my head of 2 surgeries in 6 months.

    Sandy, I'm so excited to "read" the joy in your email and it makes me extra hopeful that I will have that too! :) Better get those dancing shoes ready...

    Thanks again,

  • Well lets see. for me I was in a bad car accident 20 years ago - 1990! I was stopped to make a left turn, cars passing on left and on comming traffic. I had nowhere to go. One of those trucks up high with those really big tires didn't see me stopped. Hit me they estimated 50 mph, front of his truck into my backseat and my trunk on the ground of my mitsubishi galant. Afterwards I did the chiro thing for a few years. I got used to a stiff neck, cracking it all the time. I could never ride a bike as that hurt too much. But I was used to it and would have lived with it. 4 months ago from a sound sleep i woke up, feeling like i had a knife in my back - seriously worse than labor. And my left arm COMPLETELY numb like it wasn't there. Scary! I literally laid on bags of ice (and burned lots of skin off my back!) to help stop the pain for many days. Did docs, xrays - showed bone spurs and the questions started. Steroids sent me completely loopy, and therapy no help at all. Went to pain specialist and he did the 3 epidurals (each time knocked out I'm such a wimp). Each one helped a bunch. After 3rd one left arm 90% better. But within a month after last one pain started to come back. First a deep in arm pain, then the pins and needles. Doc said epidurals are only temp, and with my really bad bone spurs completely compressing nerve root on 3 levels and completely herniated disks almost bone to bone, I couldn't expect longterm results. So I saw 3 docs. One wanted to only do 2 levels and hope the 3rd level would heal itself which I questioned. My neuro was awesome! He does these surgeries very frequently. He had my MRI up on screen, and in my waiting room I could hear all this noice. Then my doc comes into the room and says I'm a celebrity - everyone gathered around my mri and were talking about the obvious pain I was in and much younger (I'm 47) than I looked based on the MRI!

    I was petrified to have it done - shaking and crying like a baby!! I read so many horror stories. I think a big thing is get a doc who you know can do these surgeries very confidently! I told him many pain meds with codine in it make me nausea, so he had me on the hydromorphine right off the back, nausea meds just in case - I had almost no nausea!! And my throat, I expected so much more pain than I have.

    I did stay an extra day in hospital. I asked him ahead of time, telling him my nausea usually kicked in 2nd day after the pain meds. I had no problem staying 2 nights, and my insur covered it as I hit my max out of pocket for the year. Definitely ask him about it. If you can't get a hospital bed, find yourself a large wedge - I think people recommended at least 16", something to keep the head up. For the first week I slept on a definite incline, i could never get comfortable almost flat. heat and ice and your good friend too. My first night in hospital was bad, I had the shakes real bad and in pain on just 2 mg morphine. I screamed at the nurse (I'm from Jersey and can be a kick sometimes : P - I knew I was in bad pain and my nurse with an attitude didn't care. Sorry she was having a bad night, but it is her job to make me better. In the am sh walked me to ladies room and left me there, I could barely walk! I had just slowly managed to get to a chair and my neuro walked in. He asked how long I was there, told him nurse left me on the toilet 10 minutes ago! I hope she was talked to!! Anyway the making noise about pain a bit loud brought in other nurses and they upped my pain meds. Amazing, pain was gone! Don't be afraid to speak up literally if you are hurting...

    Definitely have help with grocery cooking and laundry if at all possible, even pay a neighborhood kid to come help. You cannot bend to do laundry! Oh, and remember you need button down shirts. I had no idea until 3 days before surgery. I had to buy a bunch, you cannot lift arms to get stuff over your head. Get lots of soft foods - applesauce is a big hit for me as it is the only way I could swallow the larger pills even when they were broken in half.. Even now bread gets stuck going down.

    I hope some of this helps.

  • Wow, you sure have been through a lot! Yea, I've tried every treatment, every injection, every medicine....to no avail. Ready for surgery!! Thanks so much for the suggestions. Already looking online for a wedge and have put aside all my button down shirts. :)

    I was thinking of soft foods and realized that my microwave is overhead above my stovetop. Crap! It's actually about even or just very slightly over my head.....do you think I could make that work? Before now, I was thinking that the microwave was going to be my best friend.....

    Thanks again, Sandy~
  • After surgery they asked me to hold my hands out straight, and as high as I could. I couldn't make it even up to my shoulders. My instructions leaving hospital as to try to get hands up to should length straight out, and then can bend at elbow to go higher. Therefore washing hair is impossible as far as I can see. (I didn't shower for 4 days post op, my hair is shoulder length and was tangled bad - grab some hair detangler just in case). Today day 10 I finally took my own shower and barely washed hair. It hurts to hold hands up for even a few seconds - muscles I'm sure. So use that for judgement. Honestly, I've used a toaster oven and micro on my own, toaster on counter, and bottom of our micro is at the about 2 inches lower then the top of my shoulders. But for majority of first few days I just slept a bunch. I wish you were near here, I would help you... I really would. Wanna trip to orlando? but seriously, I would definitely ask someone to help a bit, think anyone with teens, maybe someone who does child care, simple things like a load of laundry, a meal, to help wash your hair. I couldn't imagine my first week by myself. Let me take that back - I left hospital on day 3, my husband was home day 4. He went back to work day 5, but he was still around to help wash, cook, etc. I would definitely recommend a bit of help first 4-5 at least..

    Get lots of pillows, you'll need em to get comfortable. I bought lots of sore throat stuff, chloraseptic spray max helped some. But honest best was constantly sucking on ice chips. Do you have a way to get ice chips in your freezer. In hospital, ask for them at every nurse visit. 3 days needed them bad. Then the lump feeling started for me and post nasal drip. I used sudafed to help with the nasal drip and it worked. nothing I think helps the lump. I did again suck on a lot of ice. In my case I got very luck, feeling went away in 3 days. I'm sure power of prayers. I definitely believe in it.

    Oh, stool laxative - buy it!! They may give it to you in hospital, they did for me, but you need to take it until off the pain pills. That is big. I was 5 days post op before I had the first one, thanks to all the laxative and stool softner (I got generic senna plus at cvs, taking 2 pills a day) worked. I'm starting to wean off pain pills and I'm stopping it now, but took it entire time i put one pain pill in me. I'm just using tylenol extra straingth and the muscle relaxers RX. I don't like all those crazy pain drugs they give if you don't need it.

    I also had problems with my bladder, but I have that outside of this surgery, so I'm not sure it is related.

    If I think of other things I'll send them your way. I just kept searching web for acdf thing to buy beforehand and saw many ideas..

  • Hi Amy and Sandy,

    I had my most recent surgery, a 2 level ACDF on July 25th, so I'm just about 7 weeks post-op. I had C3-4 and 4-5 fused........C5-6 and 6-7 were done 4 years ago. Surgery wasn't that bad. I went home the next day in my Miami-J collar, followed my instructions and went back to work part-time August 29th (I'm a school bus driver). We started school Wednesday, so I'm working regularly now.

    I had bad spinal headaches, and a tingly/crawly feeling before surgery, it was gone almost immediately afterward.

    Amy, good luck with your surgery. Hang in there, just don't overdo and take it easy! :-)

  • :S I had 2 level that went to 3 level acdf in 10/07, rigid fusion, five top rated 2nd opinions-neurosurgeons, as I work in legal field and know how easy things can go wrong. I had severe pain, several
    PTs, painful procedures To be rid of pain (oxymoron), rhizotomy' epidurals, plus many other efforts like acupuncture, etc, I did have stenosis, herniations at c4/5, 5/6, 6/7, osteophyte complex at t1/2 and other arthritic changes; wore a medtronic device for the stuff they put in between fusion to heal better for a year that had an alarm.
    My top surgeon said he wished he could put in the movable fusion but still not approved in US like other countries. Post surgery in only four months read on:
    I had 3 level done, that herniated c3/4, put more pressure in t1/2 that caused a level of pain that is beyond words. If only I could have had the new flexible and now APPROVED fusion, my life would be so different. Just had another MRI, new problem with C2/3 shifting.
    At the risk of upsetting you, which I truly do not ever intend, try to find the best surgeon and get the UPDATED MOVABLE FUSION. You cannot imagine the pressure normal up down movement puts on your all connected spine. If only I had this
    Opportunity you have. The reports of these patients are out and back to work in two weeks. I love my job and the pain is what I cannot get around.
  • Wow; thanks so much but I don't think I can make it over to Orlando. :) Ironically, I was supposed to be in Orlando for work all next week. But of course....now I'm having surgery and gladly cancelled everything. I wouldn't have been able to stand the trip anyway since getting through a whole day in the office here at home was a giant struggle. Thanks for all the additional tips. Are you continuing to improve? I did all my pre-op testing at the hospital yesterday and just wanted to stay and have the surgery right then! I'm on a countdown to Tuesday...
  • Charlie....you are a success story to be sure! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm hearing more and more how the surgery has helped people "get back to life" and I get tears (happy tears) just thinking of the prospect.

    I met my surgeon on Wednesday and he told me it's possible that I wil feel pain relief very soon after the surgery -- wow! But then he cautioned me that since I've had pain for almost 2 years, my body only knows pain and it might take longer because of that. Hhhmmmm, I hope not.

    Charlie, why did you have to get the others fused after 4 years? New injury?

  • Oh Cindee....I'm so sorry!!
    thank you for the words of wisdom. It's amazing to know of the improvements just since 2007 which wasn't that long ago. I am 300% confident with my surgeon's ability and that's been a relief for me. I'm not sure if it's called "moveable fusion", but this guy actually developed his method/technology and it's used around the world. Although, they've only refered to it as "minimally invasive". I won't be in a brace after the procedure and he told me that I would be able to go back to work in 2-4 weeks.

    I wish that you will find relief!!!!!!
  • CindeeSunnyFL said:

    try to find the best surgeon and get the UPDATED MOVABLE FUSION.

    I haven't heard of a flexible fusion. Is this the Artificial Disc Replacement, or is there actually a different type of fusion? It sounds impossible to have a 'fusion' that moves. That is normaly a sign of a failed fusion or psuedoarthrosis.

    Also, I am interested to know what the alarm on your Medtronic bone stimulator was for?

    Welcome to Spine Health :H

    It sounds like we could learn a thing or two from you. :-)

  • Hi all - Charlie, thanks for your update. Hearing of others who are ahead of our healing give me such hope for continued improvements. For me I'm almost 2 weeks post op. And I'm better all the time. steri-strips now off, but I am very squeamish and not looking. How soon can I put vitamin E on it - does anyone know?

    My husband hit a bad bump while in his truck yesterday - ouch! so I've been icing the back more now. Beware of car drives. I was doing great until this. It is a bit better now but still. And I was sitting with a blanket behind my back to help buffer the bumps!

    I'm confused on a fusion that is flexible. I was originally up for an artificial disk on my top level. My insurance denied it, they fought, and it was still denied. My neuro said the price is just too high now, so it is rare insurance will cover it. he does think that within a few years that will be different, just not yet.

    As to disks above and below fusion going bad, he told me there is a 12% chance it will happen. He also said in the general population with adults my age range (I'm 47) that about 10% have a problem with a disk - not related to a car accident - just from normal aging. Yes it is a bit worse with fusion, but based on the pain and nerve use loss, it is better to have had the surgery. My left side was completely numb. When he was in, said bone spurs on right side were also very bad, so in time my right side would also have been numb. And it is true, the longer you leave it the more likely some pain will exist for life. I've had neck pain for 20 yrs after the accident in 1990. I could live with that. But not being able to use my arms, that is definitely something I'd like to avoid. I don't regret my fusion at all at this stage. True I'm just 2 weeks.. Long way to go.

    CindeesunnyFL - where are you in FL - I'm in Altamonte Springs..

  • Hello Amy,

    I have degenerative disc disease. The levels just haven't held up over the years. I have a feeling I first injured my neck about 20 years ago working, but its hard to say now. I worked as a machinist for awhile....very laborous work, but quit doing that 10 years ago. I have had a total of 5 fusion surgeries--3 lumbar, 2 cervical.

    Just "blessed" with a bad spine! ;-)

    But it is what it is, keep smiling and hang in there. Also, sometimes nerves take a while to "wake up" again, but hopefully you'll have great relief soon thereafter--and everyone's different.

  • I think the thing/object that helped me most after surgery was a reclining chair with a back high enough to support your neck. It really helped me - I slept in it a couple of days on and off. Otherwise, have pillows to support you to a comfortable angle. I think I was able to sleep on my sides pretty well right away. Walking is good, but follow what your doctor says. A dog pulling at you might not be good. The grabber was helpful. Follow doctor's orders and you'll be fine!

    Good luck.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Charlie - 5 spine surgeries. I feel for you. I just finished my first 3 level fusion, I cannot imagine having it done again ever!! When was your first surgery and when was your last - how much do you have fused. Most importantly, how are you feeling now?

    Karen, thanks for much for your info too. I'm just 2 weeks post op now. Some good days, some oh I hurt so bad days in my neck/back area. ice and heat are my very best friends now! And I used the hospital bed, still am. The incline is the only way I can sleep. I've lowered it quite a bit, but I still definitely find the incline to be most comfortable..


  • Good morning, Sandy!

    My first surgery was L5-S1 (anterior), Feb. 2006

    Next was a revision of same level due to movement in area, causing issues, this time posterior....Nov. 2006
    He added screws/rods for stability

    Then in Sept. 2007, my first ACDF (anterior), C5-6 and C6-7

    July 2009 was L4-L5 (posterior), extending screws/rods
    to include previous lumbar fusion area--now L4-S1

    And 7 weeks ago, I had ACDF from C3-4 and C4-5 to
    completly fuse C3 thru C7.

    All told, 6 levels fused from surgeries.

    I do still have bad days, but do have good days as well. I don't expect I will ever feel great, that's what DDD does. But I have had a lot of work done....I hope you feel much better! :-)

  • Hi Charlie,

    You sounds really positive for someone who has been managing through DDD for so long and after so many surgeries; I'm impressed! I'm working hard on my attitude after being in the dumps for so long. I know it will go along way in my recovery. Anyway, it's easier now having someone on my camp that is sure he can help me. I can't wait! :) :)

  • Hi Karen,

    4 levels...wow. Did it fix your pain?
    Thanks so much for your note! Yea, my Dr. wasn't huge on me walking Lewis, the dog for 2 weeks....so he'll stay with a friend for a week and then the kennel. I've heard from a number of people about the recliner and had visions about renting one, but am unable to do so. I do have a load of pillows, so I'll make it work that way after my release from the hospital. I'm a natural side sleeper, so here's hoping I feel good doing that like you did! :)

    Thanks again,
  • Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. Bring the sore throat stuff to hospital, remember stool softner. Ask for ice for your neck afterwards and keep it cool, it helped me so much. And if you are in pain, make noise. Get attention to yourself - it may take a bit but they can upgrade your pain meds - it made all the difference to me! For the first 8 days I took double pain and muscle relaxant every 4 hrs. I'm 2 weeks today, and all I take is tylenol with occasional muscle relax.

    Hang in there - you have many people praying and thinking about you!

  • Best of luck tomorrow, Amy.......enjoy tonight, and see you on the "other side".

  • Hi Sandy and Charlie,

    Thanks so much for your notes! Wow, that was really nice of you. I had illusions of football night before the big day but, alas, I have been making final preparations and tons of cleaning. Now, I'm about to fall over. :( I can' wait for the morning and for the 1st day of my new life. :)

    I'm very happy to hear that you are doing better Sandy!

    Thanks again~


  • and hoping that your surgery goes to plan and that you wake up with good pain control.

    Hope to hear soon that you are glad that you had the surgery and are feeling much better. :-)

  • Just wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you. Today you would be one week post op. I've been praying that you will be doing better each day. For my first week, I was so drugged up on the Rx pain meds that it flew by.. By day 10 I was better and up and around more. I just wanted to send you some well wishes for a speedy recovery...

  • Thanks so much for the note! Only just getting to my 347 emails....remember that? :) Part of them are job hunting posts, so need to be sure to get to those....

    Okay, wow! maybe it's because I had such a horrid time with my ACL Reconstruction in May (they were perplexed at how to manage the pain and sent me home when they probably shouldn't have). And....this time I was in the hospital for 3 days, I felt like it was a, relative, breeze. Still hard for then to manage pain, but those are the breaks I guess since I've been on pain med for 21 months and hard core narcotics all summer. They even put a recliner in my room for me which was nice.

    Unfortunately (and not purposefully), I have covered most of the things on the "don't do" list they gave me. Only out of necessity....not 'just because" of course. Threw up in the bed/floor and got a crazy heavy period out of the blue even though I finished up in the hospital. So, had to strip the bed (even mattress pad) and get everything down to the basement to clean. Will work the steam cleaner on the rest another day. So, I'm really bummed that my pain level increased so much. Then, this morning, I yawned and it felt like someone cracked me in the back with a sledgehammer. What's that about? Has that happened to you?

    Since everything is all messed up again, I can't tell if my pain is fixed or just surgical/doing laundry/vacuuming pain. :) My gut says....fixed!! :) 1st post op appt is Monday; I'm excited.

    So, Sandy, you are two weeks out now? How are you doing? Do you know if you are fixed? how long before you get cleared for activity? I relentlessly ask people that and get vastly different answers. My expectation is to never remember this happened, get my golf game back, get Lewis, the dog back on the hiking trails, ski and learn how to climb. Although, after the skiing accident this past March, I might be pretty tmid about that one. Anyway, Ready...set...go!! :)
  • Hi Amy, I've been looking to see how you were every day. I'm so glad it is over with. My heart truly goes out to you, on hard pain meds 21 months!! I cannot imagine that. Do you have a TENS? I got mine online and it is amazing in reducing the pain! I used it several times a day at work and home for months before surgery. And amazingly, I've not used it once since. I'm doing fantastic - well maybe not fantastic, but much better than I had dreamed possible.. I do have muscle spasms that hurt like a charlie's horse between my shoulder blades. But I've been off my pain meds since day 10. I take 3 extra strength tylenol a few times a day and it works. I sleep every night with heating pad on my back, and use ice when it gets real bad. I take my muscle spasm meds still 2 of them, and I'm loopy and fall asleep. But thankfully that is all I need. Before surgery my left arm was numb, and since surgery I've had both left and right arm go numb and pins and needles - scary! But doc insists it is all part of healing. My throat did fantastic - 3 days of burning pain, and about a week of lump in the throat and keep swallowing and that was it. I have food and pills get stuck half way, doc says it is because my windpipe rests on the top of my plate. Hopefully with time it will go away.

    Now, you need to stop doing crazy cleaning. I do feel for you with the heavy cycle and nausea. I was so worried about it, the codone family makes me very sick, so he put me on hydromorphone, no nausea!! I'm so glad, I couldn't imagine going thru what you did. How I wish someone was there to help you!! My house is a wreck. I did try to sweep a bit at 2 weeks, big mistake!! So I ignore all the stuff I drop now. Thankfully my husband can do laundry as I'm dedicated not to hold anything heavier than 5 lbs. I'm in the neck brace, with it off I can barely turn head left and right. I can move it down, but up is brutal (same as before surgery)..

    I hope you can get the rest you really need now, please be careful, don't do anything you can leave for a week or two. No one will care if your place is a mess for awhile!! And try to walk. I started day 2. Most days I'm out and walk a mile or two.

    Hang in there!


    I hope you all do amazing, too. I know that sometimes that is not the way it goes, but you three seem to be doing quite well. I wish you the absolute BEST!

    I am still pre-surgery and trying to wait til my husband has a lighter work load around here. He too, has several health issues as well. I am also looking to have a few more consults if I can hang in there. My pain is progressing now. :(

    The insight you all are giving one another is putting my mind better at ease for when I will go through this.

    Keep up the good work and wishing you WELL!

  • I was absolutely petrified - so much so the doc came to me minutes before I was knocked out and said are you sure you want to do this, it is not an emergency procedure. I told him I got this far, just knock me out and get it over with. I cried my eyes out several days before the surgery. I wasn't on this website and had no friends to help assure me it would be ok or give pointers. Luckily at work I had some friends who knew others who had it, and I listened well to their advice. Best thing I can say, get yourself a used hospital bed (found mine on craigslist orlando for $150). I slept mostly like a baby as I could adjust until I was comfortable. Still use it every night, I'm a bit over 3 weeks post op now. Hang in there - maybe look into getting a TENS. I used mine quite a bit before surgery and it is simply amazing to help with the pain.. Sandy
  • Thanks Sandy!

    I'll have to google for one and see where to find one. I though i had done it all but never used a TENS. I do have a traction unit and take a sauna quite often and massage. Alas, these things aren't doing the job like they once were. Can't type any longer for now either.

    Take care!

Sign In or Register to comment.