Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lumbar pain and surgery

cyclegirlccyclegirl Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It was suggested I start in this forum. I am 65, female. I had numbness and tingling for 5 years followed by five years of continuous pain. I have a congenitally small lumbar spine with stenosis, sponylolisthesis -grade2 and unstable, scoliosis, facet joint arhritis, and degenerative disc disease.
For the last four years I have seen a pain doctor who does radiofrequency ablations for the groin and thigh pain and epidural steroid injections for the back pain and radiculapathy. He gave me back a life. With these treatments the pain is reduced from a 7 or 8 to a 3, maybe 4. The surgeons have scared me and the "premier" orthopedic spine surgeon in my locale talks only about a fusion L4-L5, maybe L5-S1 also. He says I might feel as much or more pain because there is so much wrong with my back and one of the other problems might cause just as much pain and the surgery could leave me in more pain. The surgeon said once I start I will have repeat fusions because the stress on the other vertebrae will be greater. It seems everyone I know (5 people with multiple fusions each, every 2-4 years) and all my research tells me that he is right.
I am scared. I can't tolerate this much longer. I used to get relief sitting, bending, or lying down. In the last 3-4 weeks I have developed intense tailbone pain so now nothing relieves it. I am making an appointment with my GP for a referral to Mayo Clinic. I know I must have surgery soon but I am terrified it will not be successful. I only take Neurontin and Tylenol most days, on the pain level 8-9 days I take meperidine or Percocet. I am allergic to codeine and vicodin.