Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting back to being gym rat after lami

Rob MRRob M Posts: 36
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Exercise and Rehab
After an injury that occurred when I was 18, I have lived in pain as many as the rest of everybody else has here. I was given the option of a fusion but did not care to have it done being so young. Now at 38, something has to give, at least a little. I have been approved for a two level fusion but still am gun shy for that procedure and will opt for a laminectomy instead to ease some low back but mostly leg pain.
So the catch is I'm a gym rat and over the years found ways not aggravate my back and still have good gains. I know there is the recovery period with PT but how long before I can hit the gym again? I know people may think I'm crazy for even being concerned about such a thing but I have found that I go to the gym hunched over in pain but more times than not leave feeling better. Yes, some days I walk in, in pain and will walk right back out after attempting to work out. My surgeon explains it releases indorphins helping my pain. But again is there anyone out there who has had this procedure, and how long did it take to return to a normal life. Thank you for any input!
Weight room accident at 18. Had compression fracture and was paralyzed for month until ruptured spinal column healed. At 37 did all the epidurals/blocks. At 38 had two level open lami and Discectomy. At 39 (Sept 2012) had two level ALIF L4-S1 fusion.