Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fish oil

Alexander01Alexander01 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:56 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
I am willing to share some of the benefits from Fish oil
Some benefits of adding fish oil in your daily diet plans:

It stabilize weight,
It prevents from heart and cardio disease,
It reduces cholesterol level,
It prevents from joint pains,
It eases depression,
It improves your vision,
It reduces triglyceride level,
It is great for brain functions,
It may prevent from schizophrenia and
It improves mood.
advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I've been supplementing my diet with Omega-3 fish oil along with a few other safe supplements for quite a few years now. From the research I have done and continue to do I believe this is beneficial with little to no negative side effects. But everyone should consult their physician before starting any type of vitamin, supplement, diet, and exercise program.

ZO6 also brings up a valid point, not all Omega-3 fish oil supplements are
    as genuine as they claim to be, so eating a fish such as salmon and tuna is far better. Grilling or broiling is far better than frying that fresh catch.
    ranger
  • And of course on the down side is the contaminants in the fish. Mercury is one of the most commonly acknowledged but there are others. Too much of a good thing can be bad.
  • I am also tried on my diet with Omega-3 fish oil...
    and it's work..
  • mickkrmmickkr Posts: 166
    edited 06/14/2016 - 2:19 PM
    I'm a fan.
    I love mackerel(filleted and grilled)
    Salmon( grilled, poached or smoked)
    Herrings (grilled after ALL bones removed)
    Eels (grilled or smoked)
    If I can't get the real thing I take cod liver oil caps (just supermarket generic ones)
    I'm convinced this is what keeps me looking beautiful. 

Mick
    I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • Fish oil is confirmed to be anti-inflammatory, treat depressive disorder and stress, avoid many forms of cancer malignancy, make your epidermis look better and much more. here are so many methods omega-3 fatty acids can help your body system and make sure great health.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team

• Very nice and helpful information you have shared. Fish oil is best source of vitamin D.
  • I prefer fish oil because fish Oil have many benefits but the main benefits of Fish Oils is that its play very big role to clear your body muscles and get your body shape very well,.
  • Fish oil is very beneficial for our health.
    It burns the fat more quickly and lose the extra weight, and plays an important role in shaping up our body. It also very good for controlling the cholesterol level and preventing from heart problems. It is very effective for removing the joint and muscles pain.
  • I was just wondering. Does fish oil have any ill effects on health? Because maybe its oil? Does anybody know something?
  • hmm... ofcourse this is an informative and helpful post but just make sure with your doctor before adding fish oil into your diet plan.

• odile53oodile53 Posts: 65
    edited 01/23/2013 - 5:45 AM
    Make sure that whatever you're taking is only an omega 3 fatty acid, and check with your doctor first. Since it does have anti-inflammatory effects it might interfere with wound healing during the immediate postoperative period. The inflammatory response is the first part of the body's response to injury and it is necessary for healing to occur. Also, there have been studies that omega 6 fatty acids may actually support tumor growth.

I was taken off all supplements two weeks prior to surgery (L4-5 XLIF microdiscectomy and spinal fusion.) When I had my staples removed ten days postop I received the all-clear to restart them at a dose of one fish oil capsule and one glucosamine chondroitin capsule a day, and he would discuss increasing these after xrays confirmed fusion had started. I had been taking fish oil and glucosamine chondroitin for several years before I got hurt, and honestly have to say that I always felt more flexible when I was conscientious about taking them.

But as always, your mileage may vary! Double check with your doctor before adding any supplements. Supplements aren't panaceas, and can have some unintended and unwelcome consequences. I have to say this, too: As a nurse for nearly forty years, it has always amazed me how quickly many people are willing to spend lots of money and time on expensive supplements while dismissing sound medical advice. The late Steve Jobs comes immediately to mind: With all the resources available to him, he opted for so called natural treatments for advanced pancreatic cancer and ended up dead.

Most doctors nowadays are familiar with complementary therapies. Of course, there are the occasional unscrupulous ones who will push their particular treatment biases, but that is why the option to get a second opinion exists. If something sounds off the wall or radical to you, get a second opinion.

However, this one little tip I got from a dermatologist, whom I consulted when my usual combination skin started flaking and peeling after surgery in December, and it's not only safe, but it's pretty effective, too. If you're battling dry skin and hair during the winter months, try this: After you shower and before you towel off, apply a small amount of olive oil to your skin. A tablespoon is more than enough. Apply a very small amount (dime sized dribble) to the ends of your hair if you're long-haired before you dry your hair. It isn't absorbed by your system, and does get rid of the winter scalies and chapping! You really want to use olive oil for this, fish oil applied topically will make you smell like a stevedore!

I'm not a spinal diagnosis. I'm a human being with a spinal diagnosis.
  • Fish oil is really very effective ones for health improvement. It has been used for healing joint pains.
  • Fish oil is great source of omega3 which has lots of useful benefits for health. It is amazing for body and mind. It improves memory and vision.
  • Fish oil has many great benefits for health so we can use it for cooking,for hair or for many other purposes. Fish oil is good for weight loss and improves our memory,vision and strength.
  • Rebecca88RRebecca88 Posts: 2
    edited 05/28/2013 - 12:51 AM
    First of all,fish oil has been clinically proven to be able to significantly reduce blood triglyceride levels by 20 to 50%.In fact,the FDA has even approved a certain brand of fish oil to be used as a treatment for high triglycerides.High triglycerides are known to be a risk factor for heart disease.Therefore,the reduction of such is beneficial for heart health.
  • My mom also using hercules fish oil. Can this be taken by anyone or for old ones only?
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    If you scroll up to #3 post on this thread you will see I was a big advocate of fish oil, Omega-3, and I love fish as I could eat it every single day and never tire of it. In fact I basically quit eating red meats prior but that is a whole different story.
    Anyway last fall in 2012 I experienced some strange after effects after eating fish, started feeling like indigestion, then as time went on after other dinners of fish my chest felt tight, then my throat started to swell where it was difficult to speak. After the onset of these symptoms within 30 minutes of eating the fish the symptoms subsided.
    Well after being tested I found out I am very allergic to basically any fish with a fin. LOL! So far I am able to still eat shellfish so all is not lost but I was really upset at first not being able to eat my favorite food but I'm over it now. Time to put my big-boy pants back on and move on, could always be worse can't it?
    I also have taken Glucosamine-Chondroitin for several years to help my joints due to severe OA until I reacted to that also.
    ranger
  • myjade_84mmyjade_84 Posts: 23
    edited 06/27/2013 - 2:25 PM
    Reading this thread is worth my time. Learn much about Fish oil.
  • A nutritionalist advised a group of people attending a spine clinic, including me, they are now taking the fish oil out of canned fish as they are getting much more money for fish oil as a supplement - he said the good old backstop of a can of tuna or salmon has hardly any nutritional value. He advised to take supplements or eat fresh fish to get any fish oil nutritional value.
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 11/29/2013 - 1:32 PM
    Hi
    Does anyone know if fish oul supplements have mercury in them?

If so, is there a supplement that's mercury free?

Thanks
    Rose
  • quick and easy tips thank you for these advices ..
  • Fish oil supplements are purified to remove contaminants like mercury. I prefer to try to eat fish, usually steamed salmon, three times a week rather than take more pills. I take variety of medication so adding vitamins to that makes it a real chore to get them all down. I have used fish oil capsules at various times. I haven't found that they've had any effect on my bipolar disorder. That is the main reason I've taken them. More recently I took them in the hopes that they would help with my pain. They didn't help that either. I do think they might have improved the appearance of my skin and perhaps helped with dry skin.

It seems like the evidence is pretty good for a couple of its uses, and shaky for many others. For cholesterol problems, it seems to work. Also joint inflammation resulting from OA and RA seems to be a use for fish oil. High doses are generally needed for those conditions, and will bring risks like any drug. At a heart or arthritis dose of ~10g/day, it can keep blood from clotting, increasing risk of bleeding. There is also a risk of decreased ability to fight infection. Because of this high, doses (over 3g/day) should only be taken under medical supervision. Common side-effects are belching, bad breath, heartburn, nausea, loose stools, rash, and nosebleeds. Taking fish oil supplements with meals or freezing them can often decrease these side effects. There are also other interactions with certain medical conditions, medications and other dietary supplements. Recently, fish oil supplements have been linked to an increased risk of prostate cancer.

My thoughts, moderation in all things. I used to take 12 of the things a day, thinking if some is good more is better (and I wanted to use the large doses they have used in the studies for bipolar disorder). I talked to my psychiatrist and she said take one... Maybe two caps a day, if you want to take it. I think for general supplementation, rather than use to treat a specific condition such as heart or joint conditions, a low dose is best. There is no sense in taking a risk with these things if there is no clear benefit to outweigh that risk.
  • Too good...Much obliged for imparting this with us.... :) :) I was unaware of health benefits of fish oil..Thanks for sharing... :) :)
  • Alexander01 said:
    It eases depression
    i'm really not in a diet right now, but this one caught my attention, if its true, then i may get some of those fish oil. thanks for the share, btw.
    "When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom!? No! It’s when… they are forgotten."
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 08/01/2014 - 1:50 PM
    I take fish oil and think I think my skin is better. It hasn't helped my pain but that's not surprising as it is more for OA/RA pain.
  • LarnersourLLarnersour Los Angeles, CAPosts: 52
    I have never underestimated the effectiveness of the fish oil, very good and effective for a good body functionality!
    Some of my friends have had bad health experiences related to lack of fish oil!
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,910
    This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.