Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help - My New Doctor Just Called Me An Addict

Bobby EyeBBobby Eye Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Pain Medications
I need some advice. I just came back from my doctor’s appointment, a new one because my old doc left the area. This was my 4th visit and he is part of my wife’s hospital complex (she works human resources fro the hospital).
I have been on a regular script of 50mg a day of Oxycodone for my problem for sometime. Herniated C6-C7, severe stenosis, and DDD.
Now my wife was with me and to make a long story short, he called me a drug addict and refused to refill my script. Nothing! We left in shock.
Now I can only tell you that I’m not an addict and suffer from chronic pain.
I’m absolutely speechless.

• Wow. That stinks. Has he filled your scripts in the past? You said it was your 4th visit.

Did he offer you any other meds? Are you a surgical candidate?

Hang in there.

• Thanks JulieA,
    I have seen 2 neosurgeons this year and am looking into the proC disc. Yes he has for the first 3 visits, and no he offered nothing. My wife asked him Should he just take aspirin, and he looked away.
    My old doctor was with me for 2 years.
  • Your doc didn't even offer to help you titrate down? He just expects you to go through withdrawals without any concern? I think I'd be talking to his boss...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    If the doctor did not want to fill your script, what his/her other options for you?

How long have been using Oxycodone?

It appears that you have not had any surgery,
    what other treatments are you currently doing?

It just helps to know more about a situation before making any comments.

Besides pain medication there are so many different ways to control pain. Its not just one piece by The Blend
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • and if you are a genuine case i think he is very wrong .even if you were an addict they should not just cut you off .they would not do that in the uk .i am sure that you have medical evidence to back up your health problems ? i hope that you get sorted
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • It would be difficult to file a claimant for me as my wife works for the organization.
    This is the hospital’s personal doctor and I cannot afford to place my wife in jepordy.
    I have been on Vicodin and oxycodone (not together) for 3 years.
    He did not offer an other options, he simply stated that I needed to get off this stuff.
    I asked if he understood the extent of my condition, chronic pain and he said that too much pain medication is being dispensed in the area.
    What he did say to me that really offended was he was sure I could find a new doctor that would write a script.
    I have had physical therapy, chiropractic (drx9000), epidurals, facet shots, acupuncture with MRI’s, CT scans, and full body Bone scans.

I currently have a call into my previous doctor. The only drawback is that she is 150 miles away from me.

So far, it’s been 2 days since I’ve run out. I don’t believe I’m experiencing any withdraw, but my back/neck is on fire. Almost impossible to type this paragraph.

• I must be in shock over this, my wife called me this afternoon from work to see how I was holding up.
    She has told a few people of our experience and they simply can't believe it.

How can a doctor have such power to destroy you life at will.
  • After reading this thread, I am curious about something... Have you been given any medications specific to nerve pain? Oxycodone won't touch nerve pain, nor will Vicoden. You sound symptomatic with your herniated level, hence my nerve pain medication question.

Me, I am on Lyrica and Oxycodone. Lyrica is my best friend as most of my pain is nerve related, and I only use my Oxycodone on bad mechanical days. If I was in your position, unless your insurance says otherwise, you might want to find a new doctor. Too, as you mentioned, reach out to your prior doctor, she might be able to explain your status to your present doctor so your issues get squared away. Please let us know how it goes.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • ...and very good company it is!!

The spine conditions you describe would not be best treated by narcotics. You really need to see a neurologist who can prescribe the typical nerve meds. Neurontin is usually the starting point but there are several different directions to go in. Most people seem to end up with the anti-depressants working best but it takes some time to find the right one or mix.

Have you gotten more than one opinion for surgery? For a "simple" herniation I would think that a micro disectomy would be a first try. All depends on what exactly is going on in there. But there are several options that are not as permanent as a fusion. Make sure you get all the options but I wouldn't wait too long on fixing that particular level. I know several people who have had permanent damage because they waited.

I hope you can straighten things out with the doctor.
  • "he said that too much pain medication is being dispensed in the area"

What does this have to do with you or any individual? He is not treating you because of local statistics? I think he is very irresponsible. If there is an increase in cancer patients in your area will they stop prescribing medication for them too?

Cold turkey withdrawal is nothing to fool around with, there a things that can help with digestive, sleep and other problems you may experience. If you have any of your medication left you may want to taper off as slowly as possible.
  • Inwould find another doc regardless of your meds calling you an addict was against all he supposedly trained for docs these days are scared little kids when it comes to scripting narcotics and they don't even think abOut your problems sorry to say it but our health care in this country is going to hell.I see this daily as an RN . So hang in there and start looking for a new doc with a little more compassion
  • The 2-neo surgeons I’ve seen this year only do fusion. I am not an expert (reason I found this forum), but they both described they needed to go behind the disc and cut/sand down the bone spurs/arthritis that are hitting into each other. The progressive degenerative arthritis is causing as much pain as everything else. My film shows pure “ugly” going on with my spine.
    If you followed my initial posting, my wife works for the hospital that this brand new “Golden Boy” doctor works at. He again is the doctor for the CEO, and goes golfing every week with the boys club.
    INTERESTING NOTE – The hospital that he left after 15 years, was not sorry to see him go. They did not do anything to retain him. Apparently he has a reputation of being an arrogant …

I know I’m going through withdraw. My back is in unbelievable pain. I haven’t slept in 2 nights. I found one more interesting thing with being taken off meds instantly; I am having a heck of a problem urinating. The pain in my back is so intense; I can’t relax enough to go.

This is truly hell on earth.

• I would get another opinion. First off surgeons don't only do fusion. They do a fusion when it is needed. There are other procedures that can be tried first and depending on your specific situation they can be very successful. Also there is no reason to "go behind" since they can do this level from the front or the back.

I would set up consults with at least two more surgeons immediately. What you describe is not going to get better on it's own so why put it off?

• I meant they don't perform any of the newer procedures, i.e. Pro-C disc.
    Definately going to keep looking.
    As soon as I can get out of my recliner.
    This is nutz, I can't stop screaming.
  • Bobby are you even a ADR candidate?

I was told that anyone with arthitis, bone spuring etc was not and would never be a candidate for ADR. I had wanted ADR when I had my cervical fusion and that is how my NS explained it. He does ADR, fusion (major reconstruction)& simple discectomy/micro discectomy.

I hope you find some relief and a new doctor. Where are you located?

• Julie,
    I'm not sure if I am. That's why I want to see a surgeon that performs ADR.

I'm not sure I can get through this. I couldn't talk to another doctor today, they all WORK til noon on fridays.

The pain is awful, I may not have it in me to get through this. God it hurts.
  • You need to your family Dr. and get help. Lyrica helps with my neck pain and Cymbalta also. Maybe you can go to Er and bring any records with you and say you can't bear the pain. Don't know how much pain meds you were on but you may need help with withdrawal.

Robax Platinum really helped and heat when I have had neck and back pain and the Chiropractor that does inferential treatments helps my neck pain also and the ultrasound treatments but no adjustments of course. I hope you can get the help you need. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • a none medical help for nerve pain in the foot/legs is the v3 circulation booster .i am passionate about it just like i am the acticare TENS .i want anyone that can benefit from a device to benefit from it .i borrowed my mother in laws and was suitable impressed .i would like to purchase one but money it very tight right now .its a class 2 medical device so its not some rubbish .it well worth a try in my opinion .please note i have no connection nor am i on any commission for acticare and the v3 !! i just want to help my friends
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • wow. i'm sorry to hear about your situation. talk about deflating. nothing like completely negating your pain. i am taking both lyrica and cymbalta for nerve related pain and assume they are working because i'm not rocking in a fetal position on the floor. yes, my pain has been that bad at times.