Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated Disc C6- C-7

LaurenB726LLaurenB726 Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am so tired of Doctors. I just turned 21 and every one of them says your young you'll be ok. But a year after my accident I would say I am worse than I was.. A year ago I was in a car accident. Went to the hospital, received horrible! treatment and was sent on my way with neck and back spasms. I continued to have pain so I went to a chiropractor (even worse decision.) He decided to treat me aggressively. Everyday I went in getting chiropractic manipulation, shock treatment, and massages. About every 3-4 weeks it dwindled down to 4 times a week, 3 times a week etc. About 5 months in he sent me off for a MRI where he found out I have a herniated disc in my C6-C7. But I'll be OK, I'm young.. A whole entire year later, every single day of it I experience unrelenting neck pain that starts about the base of my head down to mid back, all the way to the front to about my collar bone and on each side of my shoulders. I get horrible headaches about every other day. My mobility in my neck is ridiculous! Just holding my neck straight muscles are tight. Occasionally a finger or toe will randomly go numb. And if I walk around a store for too long (an hr) my low back starts to ache and then my right butt check will start to throb and then I get an odd sharp pain down my right leg to my knee. I have refused pain medicine (as extremely tempting as its been) because I am only 21. And I don't know want to become reliant on pain medication, masking what is really going on. I have stopped going to the chiropractor to allow my body to heal it's self, no progress so far. And because I am no better than a year ago my doctor wants me to get an EMG done..

Advice, tips, anything will be more than appreciated! I am SO over the pain. I am almost willing to try anything to alleviate it for even 20 minutes!

• Sorry to hear you're so young and having neck and back pain. I hope the EMG/nerve test will give the Neurologist some more answers and will refer you from there. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi!

I am 24, had a herniated c4-5. Have you consulted with a neurosurgeon? I know the physical and emotional pain you are going through! I had an Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion in June and I am doing much better. Not fully healed, but seriously much better!

Also.. I wouldn't refuse pain medication. I would take it, and only take as needed, never taking more than prescribed. Mask the symptoms for the time being while continuing to figure out how to fix the situation.

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I've seen an orthopedic and a neurologist. The neurologist said pt for a month and if I'm no better he would put me on pain medication. I laughed.