Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New and rather sudden pain

gar0262ggar0262 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello to everyone!
It has been quite a while since I posted, but I do the typical browsing around and reading. :H
So I know that no one can give me an answer, but just wanted to post about it, and see if by chance if anyone may have experienced anything similar.
A little over a week ago I suddenly started having pain in my lower back right about where my hardware is. This pain is sharp and radiates down thru my right buttock, and down to the front of my right knee. The best way to explain it is to say that it feels like I have a muscle snagged on something and it feels like it is pulling, and it feels the same way down to my knee. Last night I COULD NOT find a comfortable position so that I could go to sleep. I've iced it and also used a heat pad and it doesn't seem to help. I do have an appointment set to see the nurse practioner at my neurosurgeons office for this Friday. Of course hubby doesn't understand why I'm worried about it. :S
I wish everyone a nice day.

• When did you have your surgery? Hopefully your NP or Neurosurgeon will be able to help by assessing you and possibly ordering more tests or a hardware nerve block injection to see if you're sensitive to the hardware and if it's causing the pain.

Do you take a muscle relaxer or pain meds still? I hope someone can offer more of their experiences who have had your surgery. I hope your appointment goes well on Friday. TC. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I forgot to mention that I had surgery about 3 yrs ago, plus I must admit that I have done something I'm not suppose to do :SS I do have a episode of gout going on right now in my little finger so that could also be part of my problem right now too. ugh! Boy I sure hate being decrepit and broken. =))
  • Hey Glor,
    Sad to hear about the pain you are in!

Are you sure you feel the pain at the front of the leg...can you please check if you feel at the back as well?

But any ways reason for the pain what i can guess could be excess weight lifted during work or at home. This may have triggered the pain suddenly in the lower back region.

Please try:
    1. Lying down on the stomach keeping toes of the feet touching each other and heels separated and resting on the floor. Place elbows on the floor close to each other. Rest your face on the palms. Keep looking in front. This will give relaxation and gentle stretch to the back muscles and hence will sooth you when you concentrate on belly movement with each breath.
    2. Please do not bend forward, whatsoever.
    3. Avoid lifting anything heavy.

Wish you the best for Friday's NP meeting!

Love and Peace!
This discussion has been closed.