Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newborn Baby and Herniated Discs/Pinched Nerve

SqueakSSqueak Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello, everyone. I guess I am just writing to get some feedback and for moral support. I am 29 years old and I have a beautiful, helpless 3 1/2 month old baby girl who I can't even pick up due to severe pain in my left side (neck and arm). To make a long story short, after trips to the chiropractor, urgent care center, ER, MRI office, pain clinics, and two neurosurgeon offices, I have been told that I have severe degeneration on my left side, herniated discs along C5-C7 and T1, a pinched nerve that is causing pain in my left arm and numbness in several fingers, and congenital stenosis. This just appeared out of nowhere - no accidents or injuries. To make matters worse, I am a first grade teacher so I am having a very difficult time performing my duties at work (and even driving myself to work). I am having to take narcotics and muscle relaxers on a daily basis, and still attempting to work and nurse my baby a few times a day while hoping the meds won't affect her long-term. The neurosurgeons are both saying that I should get the anterior cervical discectomy and fusion surgery because I have already tried epidural steroid injections that have not worked. My questions here are: if I go forth with the surgery, what would my recovery be like? How long might it take? Since I am so young, is it better to do this now? The docs say I still might need future surgeries even if I have this procedure done. Any thoughts? And as far as my job...will I have difficulty in the future with mobility that would make working with such young children an issue? And when will I be able to hold my little girl?!

• Hi! I am 24 and know your pain! I had the surgery in June and I am doing so much better. Have you had a second opinion just in case? My surgeon was wonderful and did a great job.

I know I may need more surgeries later in life... and I am ok with that. Whatever it takes to keep the pain at bay.

I was off work 2 months, but the recovery wasn't that bad. The pain was controlled with meds. You will need help caring for yourself and your baby at least for the first few weeks.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Hello Everyone,
    I had an ACDF in 2006 on C6-7. I've been having intermittent pain since 2008. Recently the pain has gotten progressively worse. I have pain in my neck and shoulder blades that run down my left arm. Also low back pain and numbness in my left leg and fingers. I've been seeing my primary physician about this since last year. I went to PT and pain management, didn't help. I took tramadol and flexeril, it just calms the pain. I had an EMG last month. I have a lesion on my ulnar nerve in the elbow. My primary doctor would not order an MRI bcuz of paperwork. He referred me to a neurologist who ordered an MRI for cervical and lumbar. My insurance(united healthcare) denied it. The next day, they call and aproved the lumbar but still denied the cervical. I don't know why. The neurologist wanted me to go back to my primary physician to have him order the MRI since he have all of my records. He said, I don't need an MRI, the ulnar nerve is causing my neck pain. I don't think it is. He refuse to order the MRI. I am so disappointed in him. When I saw him 2 weeks ago, he said, he was going to help me. Yesterday, I sent a letter of appeal to my insurance company. If they still deny me, I will contact a lawyer. Did anyone have this problem with your insurance company? What else can I do? :( :W
  • Suki, your post may be moved to the Insurance thread. You probably should have started your own thread at any rate. My insurance hasn't denied any mri's.

Squeak- I had a c-5-6-7 ACDF. I felt a lot better after I woke up and after the first week I felt even better. I was off work for 8 weeks but it could have been less (was originally told 2 weeks). I did not have a collar. I still have some arm pain (nerve) but it is thought to be from my newer thoracic injury.

I hope you get better so you can start enjoying yout new baby.