Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF on 08/08/2011 need storys from others with the same

bettencourt61bbettencourt61 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello this is my second post. I am just about 6 weeks post op and am not sure how I should be feeling.I have been walking but still get tired fast and still get very sore I can,t say it is pain I just feel very stiff and get a lot of sorness. I would assume that I will be released back to work and am concerned about that I do a lot of heavy lifting and have to say I am nervous about lifting the patients and hurting my self I don,t know if therapy will be ordered my surgeon didn,t want to talk about therapy till the fusing begins. I still have some weakness in my arm and am doing some excersices to help with that. one other thing I have been going thru is that I feel depressed I don,t know if its normal but I feel like I need to get over my self

please tell me some of your storys
Ellen Bettencourt

• Actually it all sounds about right! When do you have to go back to work? I went back to work 2 months post op.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • hello i a 47 yr old woman and have been having problems form mutiple issues in my neck i have done the long road of injections but now i have nerve involvement for a few weeks to see if there is any change if not i am to have a ACDF i feel the Doc is not very hopeful of the therapy since he discussed the surgery and yold me to go on his website to read up on it ! I was wondering how other people did how long of a surgery is it and how long were you in the hospital ! Thanks !
  • just went yesterday for check up and all was well. My pain still comes and goes. The only worry I would have is lifting. My surgeon will not let me lift more than 20 pounds for another two months. Other than that, all seems normal for you.
  • Hi Michele,
    I will try to give you some answers. My surgery was a 1 level ACDF and took 2 and a half hours. I was able to go home the same day from most of the reseach I,v done the stay seems to be home the same day or a 1 night stay it varys from surgeons.my surgery seems to have gone perfectly the numbness was gone when I woke from surgery. there was a little pain the worst for me was I got sick from the meds used during surgery. I was able to drive after my two week visit, but you still need to take it easy don,t push to hard or you will set yourself back, I am going for my second visit today and will let you know how I make out.

I think you should make a list of any questions you have and bring them with you when you see him next best of luck to you
  • I had an ACDF c5-6-7 . Went back to work about 8 weeks after. Initially was told it would be 2 weeks but the surgery was much more difficult. It was about 5 hours. Recovery was not bad at all. After the first week I was driving.

• Hi Gary,
    I went for my visit today. Like you I am restricted to 10 pounds. I also have pain on and of take vicodin so I can sleep at night can,t get comfortable, God you seem to have been put thru the ringer hope you get the resultd you need.I,m starting therapy in a week not looking forward to that but hope it will help.
    best of luck
  • Hi Julie,
    Had my 2nd visit today, not doing bad I am still restricted to 10 pounds and will be starting therapy in a week. My job involves a lot of heavy lifting so he wants me to heal more and get stronger befor I go back to work, I also have bulges and arthritis of my lumbar so hopefully the therapy will help with that
    take care and thanks
  • Hi - I'm about 3 weeks post op - had 3 levecl ACDF on 8-29. C4-C7. Many days I don't feel up to walking but I make sure I do. I'm up to 2 miles a day though I walk slow, I'm still doing it. I've heard quite often that walking is very important. I am having lots of muscle spasms now (I grew about 1.5 inches during the surgery as I was bone to bone). Arm not numb anymore, but sometimes the ache deep inside happens. I am not the type of person who stays still long. So I take my tylenol and I get outside to be active as much as I can. I do go in my pool daily and I play with my dogs sitting down. I'm determined to keep up my pace as much as I can. I hope you continue to heal. Please let us know how you are doing! Sandy
  • Hi Sandy,
    I had my second post op visit yesterday. Everything seems to be going well. I was told due to the heavy lifting I do at my job that I was not cleared to go back to work yet.I to do a lot of walking It keeps me moving and also clears my head. I still at week six get pain but not constant I to have to say I still feel weak in the left arm but that will come back.
    good luck keep in touch
  • Hi all, I am new here, I also am 6 weeks post 2 level acdf C5-C7 with bone Graf. I too am concerned about going back to work since I must lift over 40lbs up a ladder many times a day. I will be going to see my surgeon Wed. for my second visit. I am like some of the other people here still in pain and am trying to ween myself off of hydrocodone. Is anyone else on a bone stimulator for 30 minutes a day? I guess I am concerned about going back to work too soon and hurting myself. I have been reading a lot of posts here prior to and since my surgery. Good luck to all and I am looking forward to hearing about everyone's progress.
  • Hi Bettencourt61 and mag58 - great to hear from both of you. Seems I'm the newest one around with only 3 week post op. The last few days have been tough. Before surgery my left arm was numb and pins and needles. Now it is my right arm. I know I'm still early in my healing, but I am definitely not happy with this new pain. Lots of muscle spasms - some are brutal! I try to get out and keep busy, but at the worst possible time I hurt bad. I'm not driving, scared to even try since I can barely turn my head yet..

Can either of you tell me if you had these muscle spasms and odd arm pains about 3 weeks into the healing? And when did you both start to drive again? Hope you both continue to heal. I look forward to reading your comments!
  • Hi. Sandy, I have not experienced any muscle spasms at this point, although I still have the right arm numbness that I had prior to my surgery, and have bad pain in the neck area days as well as headaches (today is one of those days). I also have alot of clicking in my neck especially when I am eating, weird? I dont't know. My surgeon told me at the 2 week visit that the numbness is the last to go away and could take up to a year to go away. I have not driven yet, but I go this afternoon for my 6 week visit we will see what he says about driving, P.T and going back to work. 3 weeks is still very early in the recovery process. Are you walking? That seemed to help me at least for the half hour or hour during the walk.

Take care and I hope your recovery goes well
  • Hi Julie
    Am pleased to find your post as I have just had the same procedure last week (4.5hrs on table)and am anxious to get back working. It sounds like you have recovered well and I can't believe you were driving after a week! I wonder if I've mis-understood the limitations imposed by my surgeon having been lead to believe i should be 6 weeks in collar, no driving, limited exercise? I feel like I could run a marathon amd gagging to get back into shape but my hubby wants me to adhere strickly to "rest!" Can you comment on what you were advised? many thanks and hope recovery is still good for you. Juju
  • Hi Sandy
    really sorry to hear you have new pain on top of the surgery. I am 10 days post op 2 ACDF C5-6-7 and have to say that the original numbness in my arm went after a week. Thorasic muscle spasm is very painful, I've had it intermittently for years. I had that again post op but it is reducing. Only cure in my opinion is immediate and brutal pressure on the spasm and hot pad (lie on pad every night if you can until you are back to full fitness). I'm new at this but it sounds to me as if you need to rest lots for a few days until things settle down for you.
    Hope you get better soon. Juju