Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Coordinating docs and meds

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Pain Medications
I know many of you see several doctors regularly. What I am wondering about is how your doctors coordinate your treatment and meds, in particular if you are seeing a psychiatrist? I've been seeing my neurologist every month for almost two years now. Since I am not taking narcotics on a regular basis the pain management clinic felt that the neurologist could handle finding the right meds to control the nerve pain.

But recently I am feeling a lot more anxiety and depression. My neurologist has not been able to find something that will work without unacceptable side affects so I'm thinking about making a change. Also thinking that it is time to get a psychiatrist involved. Most of the drugs I have been trying are also for mental health but I keep hearing that the dose I am being given is not enough to affect me that way.

So I'm wondering how others have handled this? Do your doctors "work" together or just deal with their piece of the pie? And does what you are doing work well for you?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    My Physiatrist manages all of my medications. That does mean she writes all the prescriptions. She just keeps records of everything I have taken and will be taken.

She does probably write about 90% of my medications, but I have one doctor that write Diovan-HCT (High blood pressure) and another for zofran for my constant nausea.

Its very good doing it this way. We have a total record of what works and what hasn't for me. I've tried so many different muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatory meds that its good to know the results of each of them.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My Family Dr. handles all my meds but when I saw a Pain Management Dr. he suggested Cymbalta for the nerve pain so my Dr. switched me to that and I've also taken Wellbutrin with it but she always checks to make sure there's no interaction with the meds.

I haven't seen a Psychiatrist yet for depression but have talked with a Psychologist but they don't give meds. My Dr. also gives me Oxazepam for sleep but it also can be used in a lower dose if I have any anxiety like going for an MRI or EMG test or other reasons. My Dr. hasn't ordered an MRI for me so I went to a Sports Med Dr. to get that done since my Dr. just wasn't ordering but I will let her know since the Sports Dr. was another consult. I hope you can find the meds that work for you or a Dr. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Kris,

I have built a team of doctors, using doctors that know other doctors. For example my spine surgeon referred me to the physiatrist that I use. Also he has referred me to the ENT I use, urologist and so on. This keeps all the doctors on the same page and I know they have all worked together. I have one that is not in the group and he seems to be in left field knowing about my medical, or only the things I bring him. But for the most part my physiatrist is handling all pain related items and my pcp is handling my general health.

In my situation it gets a little complicated cause some of my injuries are work comp and some not. So at one point and time I had so many doctors and no one really talking to the other doctor, which kind of kept me in left field without proper medical care. Eventually I moved all my medical care to my physiatrist seeing once a month for work comp then a second time for my private insurance. Making that move was the best thing I could have ever done. The other good thing here about having all my doctors through the same place is all the medical records are computerized and each doctor can see what the other doctor is doing. They all can see blood work, imaging studies and notes. But before they went to the computerized system it still worked rather well having them all on the same team so to speak. Conversely while the physiatrist is ordering all pain related medications and the PCP all health related medications I still fill at one pharmacy so there is never a confusion on the meds.

But I know exactly where your coming from, having different doctors and feeling like your not getting anywhere. I do feel that my physiatrist has kept up the most on medications as to being informed and understanding what type of meds work best on different types of pain. He also does coordinate all my blood work, with my pcp so were not running double labs, and some labs will cross over just given what it is.

Do your research as I am sure you can find a good physiatrist in your area. I specifically have one whom deals a lot in sports related injuries. Partly because I got in this situation over trauma, but also because he works from the stand point of keeping me moving, not just medicated.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    My story a little different than above. I find it unbelievable that my docs don't communicate...and...that no one oversees my care... you know to try and see the big picture and help me.
    My primary doc won't even listen to my pain...."You have pain management for that" If I talk about my gut problems " You have a GI doc for that. It starts sounding like, " There's an app for that" commercial. :)
    Then one doc orders something..another doc increases dosage.. original doc gets upset..so now I do the make nice" between them..telling each doc what the other said. That is a part time job on the full time job of taking care of myself.
    All my docs, except psychiatrist, were referred from each other, so I doubly surprised I responsible for all info back and forth.

And when I have had consults and given reports to all my docs..some of them just throw them away. Again, unbelievable to me. I asked permission for another opinion..and then I am told "Mayo has doctors just like the rest of us"..irritated.

I too have a lot of anxiety and I don't feel my depression is being handled best it could. I will bring up with my shrink. When I did have better handle on the anxiety..the world was noticeably a better place.. pain and all!
    Good luck to you
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History