Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Insurance company denied MRI

sukieessukiee Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Everyone,
HI had an ACDF in 2006 on C6-7. I've been having intermittent pain since 2008. Recently the pain has gotten progressively worse. I have pain in my neck and shoulder blades that run down my left arm. Also low back pain and numbness in my left leg and fingers. I've been seeing my primary physician about this since last year. I went to PT and pain management, didn't help. I took tramadol and flexeril, it just calms the pain. I had an EMG last month. I have a lesion on my ulnar nerve in the elbow. My primary doctor would not order an MRI bcuz of paperwork. He referred me to a neurologist who ordered an MRI for cervical and lumbar. My insurance(united healthcare) denied it. The next day, they call and aproved the lumbar but still denied the cervical. I don't know why. The neurologist wanted me to go back to my primary physician to have him order the MRI since he have all of my records. He said, I don't need an MRI, the ulnar nerve is causing my neck pain. I don't think it is. He refuse to order the MRI. I am so disappointed in him. When I saw him 2 weeks ago, he said, he was going to help me. Yesterday, I sent a letter of appeal to my insurance company. If they still deny me, I will contact a lawyer. Did anyone have this problem with your insurance company? What else can I do? :( :W

• I think a referral to a Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic Dr. would help and he can order the MRI. Just bring all your x-ray images to him and EMG report and tell him your symptoms. Hopefully you have x-rays of your lumbar area also flexion/extension x-rays. Did your EMG of your leg show anything? I hope you get a referral soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • The neurosurgeon would not see me without an MRI report. My lumbar MRI was normal. The EMG for my leg was normal as well. My neck is the main area of pain. Now I'm waiting to see what my insurance is going to do before I take the next step. Thanks for your input.
  • Sukiee,

The neurologist probably needs to resubmit for the cervical mri. If has been more than a few weeks you probably need to schedule an office visit- so the neurologist can give you another exam and get the new mri ordered for your cervical. I know it is a redicules game, but it may need to be done this way.

Call the neurologist office and explain that your doctor referred you there for treatment.... Tell the girl on the phone that you really need her help to get this figured out. You get more attention with honey if you know what I mean.

Good luck,