Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please Help.. Need some thoughts???

oc714ooc714 Posts: 54
Have gone to 3 different Dr regarding a L5 4/5mm disc bulge causing neural foraminal narrowing and impenchement of nerve root bilaterral. I only have Sciatica on my right for 5 wks. Just started A Medrol Pack and start PT Monday. 2 different opinions One Dr said Lumbar Laminectomy and the other said microdisectomy with Laminotomy. Whi is it to different types of sugeries.

The one recommending the Laminectomy felt strongly about this and had 39 yrs experience which the othe DR has less experience. Which outcame has had the best results??? Any please!!!

• oc714,

Have you tried the oral steroids before? Have you tried any steroid injections yet or nerve root blocks? Did you check out both of the procedures yet?

Unless you are in an emergency situation I would give the steroids a chance before settling on either surgery. Perhaps do some more research (I worked on mine for 17 months before we figured out what was going on and did the fusion).

Did any of the doctors tell you what would happen if you didn't do anything yet? Is it possible that you will get better with out surgery?

Hang in there & feel better,

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ...had the sciatica pain for 5 weeks..does that mean you were pain free prior to that?

I agree with Julie that there may be more conservative..less invasive treatments to try before surgery.

But, re' the surgeries you mentioned..I dunno. I have not had any surgery. Someone will probably come around and be able to speak to that. :)

Take care and keep in touch!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Sorry I should say "have" Sciatic Pain which I am unable to walk for a long distance with some numbness and weakness on the leg.

My main concern is my leg but I'm thankful that I can sit and lie comfortable. But then I have read the not so pleasent stories were things are much worse after surgery.

The 2nd Dr said He did not feel I would getter on my own.
    The DR called to set up a ESI so I will take but everyone say's its a band aid.

I'm just going trough emotions day after day thinking about the future and I cry all the time. I think it might be time to get some medication for Depression.

Has anyone hear had any adverse reactions with Steroids that cause severe depression.
  • Were you upset, like depressed before taking the steroids? Or does it seem that everything is overwhelming right now? Many Drs make you have the injections and Physiotherapy first before surgery. In the meanwhile try to get a third opinion before surgery. Take it one day at a time and if you're severely affected by the steroids call the Dr. I hope you have less pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • No I was emotional but not every hour. It is sad to say that I recently thought of harming myself but see my children and I know I need to get better. When I talk to my sister I feel better. I am a worrier and need to take one day at a time.