Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting into bed

AlistairAAlistair Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
As the title suggest I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting into bed. I'm fairly comfortable getting out of bed by rolling to the side of the bed then ganging my legs over and pushing myself up vertical . But trying to do the reverse of this to get back into bed causes me excrutiating pain where the site of my operation is. This may be due to the fact that there is a minimal amount of swelling in the area but I was wondering if any of you have a better suggestion?

I'm 3 days post opp soni guess some pain is to be expected but surely if I can get out pain free I should be able to get back in pain free huh?
Any advice would be appreciated... Thanks

• Are the worst, and the process of getting in bed and comfortable is not easy.

This is a long recovery; I thought I would just bounce right back, but that was not to be.

Be sure to follow your doctors orders. Try to rest as much as possible.

Good luck,
  • Always a challenge and the log roll is the best. I think it is easier getting out. For getting in could you have some pillows to lay your head and upper body on and then bring your legs up?? Don't know if that would take some of the stress off.

In the hospital I found it much easier to roll out of a flat bed and back into one that had been raised a little at the head. So maybe the pillows could help create that feeling.

We are all different and need to experiment. Talk to your PT or if you are still in the hospital talk to one of the therapists there. Probably the occupational therapist.

Good luck and keep us posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • No im already at home, they needed me out of the hospital I think. I was a bit skeptical about coming home after just 2 nights in hospital but I guess they know best. I've also found the log roll the only way I can get in/out. But I find it much easier with the head of the bed raised up quite high. Really struggling with a flat bed at home with no handles above the bed either!! Just have to keep persevering I guess. The buggers took my pain pump off me to so I am in more pain than I have been in the last couple of days unfortunately. Just trying to manage my pain with a huge cocktail of painkillers but nowhere near as effective as the pump.
  • I have a lot of pillows and use them as the "raised bed" of the hospital. I don't sleep with them tho. I separate them and put my head in the middle so I am more flat!! Burrowing in I call it!!

Ironically I was injured in a snowboard accident too. But I was knocked unconscious by an out of control boarder. Besides putting my SI joint in another time zone he bruised my kidney, gave me a concussion and tore the cartilage in both knees. It was such a hard hit I could not feel my legs when I came to. I thought I was paralyzed. Eventually the feeling came back. Then over the years the rest of my spine deteriorated. The worst part - it was a hit and run.

Good luck with your bed ordeal and trying to manage the pain with out the pump. Keep me posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.

• now I remember there was a trick to this, which I worked out fairly quickly. Now I am struggling to remember what it was 18 months later.

I think it was to make the movement very smooth and continuous, lifting my legs up onto the bed as I lay down. Log rolling is definately the way to do it, but as a smooth movement.

I do hope you manage to work it out very soon. My first couple of days after surgery, laying down was very painful, but once I had worked out how to do it I never looked back.

By the way, your blog is very good and really takes me back to the early days of my lumbar decompression and fusion of L4/L5.

Keep following your doctor's orders and be patient. It is a long road ahead of you, but it should all be worth it in the end.

• I placed a dining room chair near the head of the bed with the back side up against the mattress near my pillow. I also placed a small stool next to it so that when I would get into bed I would place my feet on the stool, my hands on the back of the chair or chair and mattress. It would allow me to do a modified log roll into bed, where I wasn't having to lift my legs further than I could handle and having the chair to brace either one arm or two on. Kind of a scrunched up log roll into bed.

• I rented a hospital bed from the medical supply store and it was covered by insurance and was great.
  • I have given up in a way. Instead of completing the log roll to end up on my back I get myself into a position that causes the least discomfort on my side (sort of like the recovery position) I cannot move over from here at the moment so I have spent the whole of today alternating between sides while trying to read a book. It dosent help that I need glasses to read because it's hard to lie with your head on a pillow with glasses frames under you head. Ohwell if that all I've got to complain about then I guess I should be thankful.

Thanks for all your advice y'all :-)

• It will get better, honest! :D

• I'm sure it will. But when your in pain nothing happens fast enough right? I'm really struggling without the pain pump as im finding that I can't time taking pills correctly so I end up with periods where there is no painkiller working.

Bloody amateurs mistakes I think.

• I think timing your pain meds is very important to keep your pain controlled. Once it gets out of control, it takes much too long to get it under control again.

I suggesst that you work out your pain medication schedule and even write it down as when taking heavy duty pain meds, they can screw your brain!! 8}

Then maybe set a timer to remind you that it is time to take them. Several others here have used an alarm to wake them in the night to ensure that their pain doesn't get out of control.

Are you finding getting back into bed again easier yet?

Make sure that you give your body rest when it screams at you and take regular short walks. Other than that, don't expect much of yourself.

Another piece of useful advice is to look at your progress weekly rather than daily, or you will be disappointed.

Keep battling on. :|

• Hi, I'm two weeks post surgery today. Due to a small dural tear during the procedure I had to lie absolutely flat on my back for 24 hours. Doesn't sound too bad? Try it. After that, when I could get up, I found that putting my butt down up high on the bed, lying into a support of pillows at my head, and pulling my legs up until all of me was in bed worked best for me. Believe me, it does get easier, and I'm hoping it gets easier still as time goes bye. Pain meds every 4-6 hours are helpful to relax me; in the hospital, my BP was scary low so they discontinued my pump, then quit giving me my IV pain meds altogether, I was just getting one Percocet every 4 hours by mouth. I was NOT a happy patient!!
  • I don't know if we had the same type of surgery. I had a microdiscectomy on L4/L5 one week ago. This works for me; sit on edge of bed, put a small pillow between your legs (to keep your spine straight), lower your upper body down on its side using your elbows and upper arms, bring your legs up on the bed, and log roll over on to your back.
    BTW, as far as the sciatica I had for 4 months prior to surgery, it is GONE! I still have numbness in my foot, but I expected that.